Do you take the caps off your plastic bottles before you recycle them?

I always thought you had to do that, then I was looking at a cap and it said number 2 plastic. Now I don't think all of them are? Was it just that one? I am confused now. I am a chronic recycler, seriously have issues I'll recycle any tiny scrap that I can.

Asked by staciandababy at 6:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2013 in Home & Garden

• The caps are recyclable on milk,soda,and water. The lids on many things,like peanut butter,are not

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I asked the recycling plant and they told us that we can keep the caps on. Some they can recycle and some they can not. It just depends on what your recycling plant recycles.

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I take them off, but then again I usually crush them so keeping the cap on would make a bigger job for me.

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• You can crush plastic?

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Just the bottles. I squeeze them until they are flat. Not the harder plastic ones though. We don't use a lot of plastic bottles anyhow. I have a crap ton of those reusable water bottles. I use filtered water from the fridge or the water filter pitcher on the counter.

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:02 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• If you put the cap back on after you squish them they stay flatter because it keeps the air out

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• We have single stream recycling... we just toss all plastics & papers in one barrel, and they sort it out. I've never taken the tops off of any of it.

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Our town does not recycle.

Answer by louise2 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I just chuck it all in the bin.

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• the whole thing gets thrown into the recycle bin.

Answer by liss05 at 10:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2013