How do you put a 3 year old to sleep?!

I live with my boyfriend, and he has a 3 year old daughter who he has full custody of. So ive taken over the mommy role because her mom is a drug addict. Most of the time daddy puts her to bed, but he worked overtime today so he was super tired and fell asleep early.. and now im having trouble putting her to bed. Id rather not wake him up, so I need some pointers here ladies! She was laying with me watching mickey for a while, and I told her when it was over it was bed time. So I put her in her room.. its been about 20 minutes and I can hear her in there playing. Do I go in there and tell her to go to sleep, or wait it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Nov. 28, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Brush her teeth. Read her a story. Give her a special toy and a sippy cup of water. Turn a nightlight off. Kiss her. Goodnight.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:20 AM on Nov. 28, 2013

• Exactly what Staci said. If she's not getting out of bed, then let her be. I used to stay awake for a couple of hours after my parents put me to bed every night; mom just let me read myself to sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:50 AM on Nov. 28, 2013

• This is a perfect opportunity to build a special relationship between the two of you! Teach her that 8:00 pm is Cozy Time. Then every night the Cozy Time routine starts with brushing teeth, washing the day off her face, going potty one more time, then the fun stuff...build a nest of pillows and blankets on her bed, dim the lights to the darkest you can get and still read her a bed time story, then ask her about her worst part of the day first to get it out of her system and deal with whatever she says as a friend not a parent, then ask about the best part of her day to close on a positive note, then maybe sing a favorite song, tickle her chin, kiss her forehead, say prayers together, then turn off the light and just close your eyes as you lay next to her and whisper...sweet happy dreams angel...and just stay there until she's asleep. It will become her favorite part of the day...and possibly yours.
    vanillaorchida

Answer by vanillaorchida at 1:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2013

• Always know a kids bedtime routine. Usually bath, brush teeth, then bed. Gives the kid time to mentally prepare for bed. I use to tell my kids an hour before bed time.
    You need to go in their and inform her to get back in bed.
    Personally I would have told him(SO) he was not going to sleep tell he put HIS kid to bed. Like you said. You are not his wife. So why are you taking on the Mommy role.

Answer by louise2 at 7:04 AM on Nov. 28, 2013

• Three year olds are beyond difficult. They're growing up and they think it's easier to defy their parents and just do what they want. But, that said, the ladies here have given some good advice. Stick to a routine, do things that will calm her down, and hope for the best. Chances are she'll get up regardless but you and her dad can only do your best.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 28, 2013

• Personally I would have told him(SO) he was not going to sleep tell he put HIS kid to bed. Like you said. You are not his wife. So why are you taking on the Mommy role.

just one more tidbit of great advice (insert eye roll)
    Anonymous

• What ever anonymous. Can't show your self.

Answer by louise2 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2013