My 2 year old daughter has a large rash on her butt cheeks

She also has a large blotch on her hip. We recently have been keeping her in panties during the day, and diaper at bed. We always apply lotion before bed, and have been applying diaper rash cream since this first appeared. It goes away but comes right back after a couple days. What could be causing the rash? I thought maybe it was dry skin, but hope it's not an allergy.

jamiep081

Asked by jamiep081 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like you need to talk to her pediatrician.
    Maybe she's allergic to her diaper or the detergent you use.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 7:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2013

• Could be anything from ringworm to contact dermatitis. A dr. would be the best person to consult with.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2013

• LOL QM!

It could be anything from chafing to allergies. It would be best to let her physician diagnose her.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2013

• Ask a doctor. I would use neosporin on it. Not lotion.

Answer by louise2 at 8:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2013

• probably eczema. Try some Cortisone 10

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2013

• I agree, could be so many things but I also agree about Neopsporin. Try that if cornstarch doesn't help.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2013

• *I* would take the child to the doctor to find out exactly what it is and what I should do to treat it. If it is a fungal infection, all the diaper cream in the world is not going to clear it. You may be doing more harm than good by not finding out what it is before you attempt to treat.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2013

• If you are using Purex Laundry detergent that would be the cause. It gave us all a rash. Sounds like a contact dermatitis. Google it.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:09 AM on Nov. 29, 2013

• I agree with taking child to the doctor asap.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2013