How to get my dd to go potty other than home?

My dd is almost 28 months old and has been potty trained at home with no accidents (she wears diapers to bed though) she hasn't had an accident but maybe one time in the last few weeks. She goes on the big potty at home, but when it comes to going out she wont go. She will sit on the potty, but wont actually go in it. Like yesterday over my moms for thanksgiving she did go 2 times over there, but then she had 2 accidents as well over there that I ended up putting a cloth diaper on her (we switched to those since she is only using diapers at night) thing is I hate to do that because if I do that then she doesn't tell me she just uses the diaper. But now if we go to the store or something she wont use them either she finally sits on the automatic ones now, but thing is she holds it in the store. We have been gone for 3 hours one time and she held it until we got home and she went potty, but seems like family or friends she doesn't even try to hold it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• Time and patience. It doesn't happen overnight.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:56 AM on Nov. 29, 2013

• I agree with 2autistic. It will take time. Eventually she will do it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:22 AM on Nov. 29, 2013

• I also agree.

And, I remember actually being frightened of unfamiliar toilets, esp. those in public restrooms. Now, I think a lot of it was the sensory overload - loud sounds, funny smells, etc.

Little ones are creatures of habit. They know where things work. She knows she can go potty at home, but it's all different out in public or at someone else's house. Even you're different in those environments. Be patient. Carry diapers and extra clothes. She'll figure it all out in her own time.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 29, 2013

• "Treats" (stickers, dum dum lollipops, or m&ms) for going potty when away from home.

Answer by missanc at 1:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2013