Does anyone have any experience with a family member with Dementia?

I seriously think my Mother is suffering from this. My question is can this happen within a few months? It seems that since September she is talking wacky. My Dad passed 1 1/2 years ago & she is alone & refuses to make friends or continue the relationships she had. Basically she's depressed. Actually she has always been upset about something since I was a kid. So I don't know if this is just to get attention (she HAS to be the center at all times) or is she really getting Dementia. If you talk to her in person she sharp as a tack but when I talk to her on the phone it's like looney. Maybe she's not paying attention like watching TV while I am talking to her. I don't know.
The odd thing about her is that she develops every condition that one of her friends has. Her friend is suffering with back pain & has to stay in bed. Sure enough, now she has back pain & she's staying in bed. My Sister's MIL has slight Dementia now my Mom is acting like she has it.

So is it possible for Dementia to have such a quick onset or is she full of shit?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 11:56 AM on Nov. 29, 2013 in Health

• My Mother had dementia. Broke all of our hearts seeing her with this.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• Take her for a quick doctors visit.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:57 AM on Nov. 29, 2013

• Hard to say, but you know her best. My experience with my G-ma started with her repeating herself a lot & having lapses where she'd go back in the past. Then she got a bit nasty toward the end. Take your mom to her Dr. & have them do a cognitive evaluation on her. GL if she does have It b/c it's a horrible progression to experience.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• Sounds like she really misses your dad & is depressed. Will she go to grief counseling? Hospice offers it for free even if you didn't use their services for a loved one. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• One of our family members has dementia. She was diagnosed by a neurologist. A thorough checkup can be enough. She didn't need an MRI. Hers has progressed pretty fast......over the last year there has been a huge decline. The other attention getters you mention make the combination very hard to deal with. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• My brother has a rare form of dementia called Benson's syndrome, it is connected to his eye sight...he is now blind or has a distorted perception of what he sees.....the decline has been quick and painful for us...but there is not much one can do. Meds do not work...they only give side effects. He is happy in his own little world.....

Answer by older at 8:08 AM on Nov. 30, 2013

• My mom's was nearly instant, after a stroke, but they didn't realize she'd had a stroke. The doctors wrote her off as being a pain in the ass, and didn't find the damage until it was too late.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• Can you call and speak to her doctor (or, nurse?) my family practice has an advice nurse that's always available to patients and their family. Memory loss can be caused by depression.

Sounds like some grief and possibly being off her meds. But I'd make sure her doctor was aware of your concerns and sees her.
    How about a support group for widows? I have a friend that lost her husband of 40some years and she was in a fog after his death for a long while. There were times she made it seem like she couldn't wipe her nose without him.
    The support group really helped her.

adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 6:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• We took her to the ER 2 weeks ago since she said the pain was terrible in her back. They took xrays & said she had slight arthritis in her back but not that bad & it was normal for her age. They took her blood pressure & it was 220/95 Very high. Turns out she had not been taking her meds. So we took her to her Dr. the next day & he gave her all new prescriptions including a pain pill. She cried & just said she missed my Dad that's why she didn't take her meds. So I enrolled her in auto delivery for her meds through the mail & she's pissed because she want me to go 60 miles with the kids to get them for her instead of having them delivered. She doesn't dwell on the past but talks to confuse you. Like she said yesterday that my Sisters friend was fooling around with her outdoor water valve??? Not true, they just went out to smoke. She's mad at everyone.

ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• NP, I guess we'll get her an MRI to see if there is an issue with her brain. Mrsmom, She will not even go to the Senior Center right in town (they'll pick you up & bring you home too) because "all those women are clicky" she said. She refuses to do anything for herself. Meanwhile my BIL is still dying in the Hospital. This may also have to do with my Sister not doting over her because she's always at the Hospital with her husband. So again, my Mom is not the center of attention & she's fighting anyway she can to get it seems to me. Instead of being strong for my Sister, she cries to her & says her hair is a mess & she needs dog food. BTW, I want to start Peapod food delivery for her but she says "No, where will I put the dog when they come?" GRRRRRRRRR.........She is starting to make me lose my mind. See, my Dad treated her like she was a fragile flower & convinced her not to drive & my Sisters & I were required to drive her.
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2013