Anybody else get treated as a leper at baby showers or other situations like that because of your c-section?

I've had two c-sections and breastfeeding was an excruciating hell. If I talk about my experience in the same way that other people do I get dirty looks, scowls, generally it's tense for no reason.

I've been accused of scarring people. Other women get to talk about forceps, episiotomy, vacuum extraction, etc... as long as it was a vaginal birth but I can't talk about a c-section for a surprise breech and a planned repeat for my preemie. No scary bleeding or pain or complications at all just straight forward surgery where I recovered so well they let me out of the hospital early.

Worse if I'm really unlucky I get the person around me that feels the need "educate" me about breech birth and VBAC. Absolute worst case they now feel the need to try to get me to have a "healing" vba2c.

Anybody else get quite this much crap in these situations?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 8:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• No, but then I avoid baby showers anyway. Family conditioning: They're considered bad luck.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• No. I only know one person (on here) that has a horror story about her c-section. Otherwise, I don't usually discuss mine. It wasn't that big of deal. Labor was hell though. I always like to point that out.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• No. I've never had anyone make a comment about my csections.

Answer by missanc at 10:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• Nope. No one has ever been rude to me about my c-section. If anyone asks me about that, I tell them it was like giving birth in space and it was sweet relief compared to the medeival torture they put me through while trying to induce a vaginal birth.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• I've had people feel sorry for me because I didn't get to experience a natural vaginal birth, like that is the most important thing about having and raising kids. I tell them I had an emergency csection and DS almost died so don't pity me, be happy for me and that I chose to have my second csection rather than trying for a vaginal birth because I didn't want to take the chance that the same emergency would happen again. Ive learned to ignore these types of comments and ignorant people.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2013