How to not be in horrible pain when waiting for your milk to dry up?

I'm kind of hopping that there is some way to not be in terrible pain when waiting for your milk to dry up if you don't breastfeed your newborn. Last time it wasn't too painful as long as I didn't try to cuddle with my baby.
The problem is that you want to cuddle with your newborn.

Is there anything that can be done to make it less painful especially if the problem is letdown?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 8:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• Talk to your dr. I believe there is medication or a shot to help with that.

Not cuddling with your newborn seems like much more emotional pain than the physical pain of the letdown.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 8:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• I thought they would only give you medication if you chose not to BF at the hospital. I remember both me and my daughter just having to wait it out. I'm sorry. I think you should call and ask the physician on call though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• They won't give medication to suppress milk anymore. I don't breastfeed because I've got some kind of nerve damage so letdown feels like passing broken glass though my milk ducts. It hurts enough I've been known to vomit.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• There has to be something you can do. Contact your local la leche group.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• Wow... and they won't give you anything for the pain lb? That's awful! I'm thinking of you. Hope it dries soon.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• Peppermint oil, just a couple drops at a time. On your breasts.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• The shot was discontinued due to the side effect of death. You can go on estrogen birth control immediately after giving birth; it will kill supply. YAZ in particular works virtually instantly to do this.

You should know, that wasn't a nerve abnormality; for some women letdown does indeed feel like that for a few weeks, even a few months. (I was in the "months" category.) IT's also pretty common to only happen the first time around, and not be painful the second time when the body knows what it's doing.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• @gdiamante I made it to 3 months the first time mostly because of the Percocet from my surgery made it easier but even that only dulled it. Same issue happened after my second baby and even happens randomly sometimes and I dried up almost a year ago. It's almost exactly like the neuropathy in my legs and back.

But whatever it is it's not something I could ever cope with without serious pain relief and that's impossible long term and honestly impractical even in the short.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2013

• Just express enough to relieve the pressure. Hot shower will help ease it a little.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• CABBAGE! I can't believe how much it helped. Just put in your bra, raw.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2013