Did any of you use a CNM for your delivery? Wondering if it's worth it to become one.

I'm strongly considering becoming one but I'm a little turned off by the idea of being the odd man out in an OB practice. You can do a solo practice in my state but CNM are paid less then doctors so you by yourself have to keep the lights on,buy the supplies AND pay malpractice insurance on top of all that. There's some incentive from the state if you become a WHNP/CNM because my state is in a crisis for PCPs.
Anyway...

I was wondering if you've had a delivery with a CNM or have women's health received services from one? Experiences? Hospital,birth center or home if it was a delivery?

Would it interest you if a provider offered out of hospital birth in some cases?

I'm still on the fence just a bit about becoming a midwife but if people really enjoy having a CNM or see one regularly it honestly might help me bite the bullet and feel better about the decision.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Nov. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• I am beyond childbearing years but I would not have considered your services nor having a delivery outside of a hospital because in my case there was no chance of a safe delivery without the aid of a doctor. There was not the probability of carrying anywhere close to term without intervention.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:13 AM on Nov. 30, 2013

• If the option had been available to me I'd have used it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:18 AM on Nov. 30, 2013

• I did not. The option was available in the Ob group I chose, but it's not something I was interested in.

Answer by missanc at 9:08 AM on Nov. 30, 2013

• Like Dardenella, me having a live birth without medical intervention is not a possibility.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2013

• I've had all c-sections myself but I have a lot of experience with CNMs for women's health. One was the first to take me seriously when I was trying to get pregnant with my son and honestly gave one of my more pleasant pelvic exams.

I like how flexible you can be with your practice even to the point that one of the continuing education credits you can do is becoming a first assistant for c-sections.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• I had the same one (she had more letters behind her name- I think cnm arnp maybe?) But she was in the family practice we went to and also only did hospital deliveries, no home births. I love love loved her.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• I had a CNM deliver my 2cd child. (I have a heart condition so for my first they wanted me with a doctor but there were no complications and i was ok'd to use her with my second) I've always had a CNM as my OB. Mine practices at the same office as the reg. OB's and delivers in the hospital.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• I had a CNM that worked with a local OB practice deliver my first in the hospital. By the time I went to have my second she had gone on her own and was delivering at home, her clinic, and hospital. I chose to deliver at home. She also does all my yearly stuff etc. I love her. I think that the trend is going towards less interventions and women are educating themselves and choosing CNM's more at least around here. The number of CNM's has doubled since my first was born 8 years ago.
    Anonymous