How would you do sleeping arrangements?

We have 4 rooms in which we can all sleep, with 7 people.

Right now, our oldest, almost 13, has her own bedroom.

Son has his own room.

The 8 and 7 year olds share a room.

Baby co-sleeps with Mom and Dad.

Baby is now a year old. Would like her sleeping in her own bed (she hates the crib, and I think she'd be OK with a toddler-type bed), but not really sure where to put her. The two girls in one room are the only ones who have a bedroom downstairs. And at this present time, moving is not an option. We purchased this house and have a mortgage on it (and we have a possible chance of PCS'ing this summer for our first time in over a decade), but, if we end up NOT PCS'ing, I'd like a little more permanent solution other than co-sleeping with the baby who's just like me (little gymnast while sleeping).

So, seeking advice, how would you arrange it if this was your family?

hopeandglory53

Asked by hopeandglory53 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• My thinking when suggesting that was that the 7&8 year olds are already used to sharing with each other, have sorted out the pecking order in the room, and are very close in age so (I'm guessing) share toys and (maybe) clothes. Don't really want opposite sex kids in the same room, so the boy's room is out. That kind of leaves the 13 year old. The age gap is enough that she SHOULD understand. It mat be annoying to her in another year or so when the baby is going through the terrible two's. But, it still seems like the most logical thing right now.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• I say kick hubby to the couch & let the baby stay with you. But hey, that's just me. My hubby snores sooo loud! In your situation, your oldest will probably have to bunk w/ 8 y/o & the baby can sleep w/ the 7 y/o.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• I'd put the baby in with the 13 year old. It's not ideal, but don't know how else to do it.

Do y'all have an office or den type room you could convert into another bedroom?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• What are the genders on all the children?

Is the master bedroom the largest room? Does it have a connected bathroom or not?

My answer depends a bit on this info.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• Rose, its funny you say that because my oldest does have a "hide a bed" trundle that baby COULD sleep on (and her room is right outside our room, so not far away at all), and she's been begging, but baby still wakes up multiple times.

We have our office, the problem with that (which is why I didn't mention it), is we have NO WHERE ELSE to put our computers (yes, I have thought of moving almost 13 year old to this room, but I'm like, where the hell are we going to put the computers if we do that...). This house is way too small, and got smaller when baby arrived.
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• Gdiamante...

4 girls, 1 boy, boy is stated.

Master bedroom is largest, barely, two girls share the next to largest room. No connected bathroom to master bedroom.
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• I say the 13 sounds good right now....can't fit your computers in your room?

Can't fit a toddler bed into the 7/8 room? or in your room?

I had 4 siblings, two girls(so 3 total) and two boys and for a long time we lived in a 2 bdrm trailer. For a while us sisters(I was 8 when the youngest was born and the other was 4) shared what was later(when kids left) the dryer room, it was a walk through room(walked through to get to the back bedroom), we had a triple decker bunk bed...then we were moved to a bedroom with a bunk bed with a full size on bottom and twin on top and the parents took the "dryer room". My brother's shared a room. It stayed that way until I was 12 and my mother added onto the "house"...totally getto but we lived. The actual rooms in the house was only about 8 ft by 8 maybe. However you do it the kids will learn to deal with it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• I'd say either put baby with 13, or move 13 downstairs, bring the other 2 upstairs and put baby in with them, if the rooms are big enough for that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• I'm thinking the three oldest girls in the master bedroom, you two move to the next largest, baby in the smallest, the boy stays where he is. It's a temporary situation and changes again when baby is sleeping better; then you put them 2 - 2 and 1 and you move back to the master.

Alternately: Is there another place in the home the computers can live? We haven't kept anything but our server and printer in a separate room for years.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• There's no way we'd be able to fit our bed into another room, and our room is barely big enough for the bed (as I said, and I told my husband this...this house is TOO SMALL for our family). There is NO WHERE else the computers can go (we have 3 sets of computers plus the desks they go on). The ONLY other place they could possibly fit is the garage, and that is obviously NOT an option, LOL.

*Sigh* I REALLY hope this PCS goes through and we get a chance to go for a new house (plus, we should be able to afford a bigger place because my husband is higher rank now). Been looking at a place where we would be going, and I really REALLY hope it doesn't sell if we do PCS before then, LOL. (7 bedroom house, 5 bathrooms...for only about $20k more than this house is worth).
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2013