Help....my 17 yr old son

has severe autism and is non verbal and he is having a bit of a hard time breathing. Cvs says since his doc is closed for the holidays to give him 400mg of mucinex. Its not really working that well . Before you tell me to take him to the ER, let me say he is TERRIFIED of doctors or hospitals and im afraid that it will make his breathing worse. Any sure fire remedies that work to help with breathing. He does have an inhaler (proair) but its not seeming to help.

SLC3015

Asked by SLC3015 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Does your doctor have an answering service? Or does your insurance have an on-call nurse?

Define "Having a hard time breathing." Do you mean he's got nasal congestion? Zicam can help clear that. Chest congestion? The Mucinex was the way to go, and if that didn't work and that is the problem, then to the doc with you.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• Does he have a fever?
    It could be pneumonia and should be seen ASAP. Could they give him something for anxiety?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• hes very active and wont sit still...but hes got what seems to be labored breathing...hes in excellent spirits...im just terrified that the hospital will freak him out more..when ive gone for asthma attacks they give 2 or 3 breathing treatments by holding something that looks like its smoking and he WONT sit there and hold that thing, im sure of that. the doc does not have on call anything. this has happened before but only lasts for 2 days or so and only once a year...since I have asthma I hate seeing him struggle to breath..he has gotten better....jesus, just reading this back to myself I seem like mommy dearest. if I read this post myself I would scream at the computer you dumb bitch take your kid to the hospital cuz it seems so logical. whew.......
    SLC3015

Comment by SLC3015 (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• I would bring him to an urgent care clinic ASAP. Let someone wait in the car with him. You go in first & explain the situation. Maybe the Dr. can take off their coat & examine him in a regular office.
    If he has an inhaler I assume he has asthma & this is not something to try home remedies with. Go Now!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• ill check his temp now....
    SLC3015

• Call your doctor... do you even know what's causing the problem?? If it's congestion vs some other issue that a doctor NEEDS to treat?!?!?
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• 99.2
    SLC3015

Comment by SLC3015 (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• cvs says I can take him to a minute clinic...ill try that.
    SLC3015

Comment by SLC3015 (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• he is coughing but its dry...and its only when he runs around...which I am trying to make him stop doing.
    SLC3015

Comment by SLC3015 (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• I would explain to him like I would a younger child: [his name here] I need to take you to the doctor to help you breathe better. I KNOW you don't like doctors, but this time he will help you breathe better. Dad and I will be with you the whole time. They might give you some medicine that you have to stick in your mouth and breathe. It won't taste all that good, and it will be boring just sitting there holding it and breathing, but it WILL help you breathe better.

I've found that if you're honest with kids and don't try to sneak up on them with things, they do a lot better.

My 6 year old recently had strep. She wasn't fond of the medicine at all, but by me telling her I understood she didn't like the taste, but that she still had to take it to feel better, I didn't have much of a fight from her. And, by the end, she actually LIKED the taste of the amoxicillin.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2013