Big brothers are the best.

Just saying.

My five-year-old was on the brink of earning herself a time out at lunch, pitching a fit because I wouldn't give her a yogurt cup. I buy them to send to school with her, but I usually offer her yogurt from a multi-serve package at home because it's cheaper to purchase it that way. She was gearing up for a real doozy of a tantrum, but her big bro stepped in and made her a special turkey and mustard sandwich, cut into fancy triangles with the crusts trimmed off, with three pickles on the side. Smoothed feathers, full tummy, no time sitting on the stairs. Usually I would have been annoyed at the interference, but what the heck, it's a holiday.

So to make it a question, do you have any big brother stories from your childhood or with your kids?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• Wait, wait, wait, hold the phone, isn't this the same boy-child that was pissing you off so bad the other day? (insert big grin here)

In times like this, sometimes you just need to take a step back, and smile. He did a GOOD thing by diverting her tantrum. Take a deep breath, and another, and be glad he loves you guys so much. It truly is a blessing when they do things like this. So what if he made her something that you weren't planning on, SHE'S happy, a tantrum has been avoided, and he HELPED around the house.

And yes, as many times as my 10 year old pisses me off with his self-absorption, and jerk attitude towards my 6 year old. He has his glorious moments when he does something absolutely right at the exact time he needed to. It makes my heart sing in those moments.

Catch him at some point soon and thank him for doing that. It'll go a long way for both of you.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• Well he is showing her attention which is what you wanted. Why be annoyed?
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• We went out to get Halloween buckets for my boys about a week before Halloween. They had plastic buckets that looked like Jack O Lanterns, all orange except for one green one. My oldest took the green one, and my youngest stuck out his lower lip and said he wanted the green one. So my oldest just handed it to him and took an orange one for himself. Melted my heart the way he did it.

I try to remember that moment when he's being a real butt to his little brother - which is pretty much all the freaking time these days. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• Well wow this is the same kid that you hate.
    I guess he's not so bad now he is.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• This is the one who shows her no empathy? Your posts never cease to amaze with all of the back and forth changes in things.
    Anonymous

• So during the holidays they can do things that would otherwise possibly be an issue?
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• Aww- that was sweet of him. My boys have had their moments of being sweet to their little sister. I treasure them, b/c you know they don't happen too often. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• Yup, big bros can be the best.

The last year we all went to my grandma's house for the summer, my new cousin (by marriage, she's only a couple months younger than me) was house-sitting, and she invited my bros and I one night. Apparently she decided to throw a big party. My brothers didn't get any sleep that night, because they were keeping one eye open to make sure none of the male guests decided to try anything with me while I was sleeping in one of the bedrooms.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2013

• why don't you give him a break
    Anonymous

• Jeez, y'all. Sometimes he can be a real asss. So yeah, I have posted about him being a butthead before because, well, he is one. Now and then. Give me a break.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2013