How do i get DS 13 to stop smoking?

I just found out that DS13 smokes cigarettes daily. Apparently he gets them from older friends. I forbid him to smoke and for his punishment he has to go clean horse poop at a locall stable tomorrow for 6 hours. II'm afraid he is addicted and is having a hard time quitting. I've smelled it on him since I found out so I know he hasn't quit yet. He just sneaks and smokes behind my back. He's too young for ecigs, nicotine gum or patches so how can I help him quit?

jenny3344

Asked by jenny3344 at 5:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• bowing downLet's bow down before the perfect anon parent

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:16 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Whatever you do DO NOT LET HIM TAKE CHANTIX!!!! it is responsible for over 500 suicides this year!

Answer by older at 7:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• First of all I am confused as to how a 13 year old gets cigs int he first place. You say from older friends but why on Earth are you allowing him to hang out with people who are that much older than him. Why are you allowing him to be unsupervised? Why re you not helping him to choose friend who are a good influence for him. Ones his own age with his same interest? The first thing you are going to have to do at this point is cut these so called friends out of his life and that will be very hard at this point. You need to make sure he has adult supervision at all times. He is 13 not 18, he is still a child who requires guidance.

The most important thing you can do is to talk to him. Openly and honestly. Not in a an accusing way. Accept your part of the blame. Let him know you love him and want to help him. He will resist and you have to keep it going with out getting angry and pushing him away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• It is by the way 100% possible to supervise a 13 year old 24/7 for a while. Take his bike, he can't drive, take his phone and only allow internet access while you are in the room. Lock the deadbolts and make sure you have his keys.

My kids are 16 and 18 and trust me there were times they had to be on 'lock down' it's no fun for anyone but it is so important that we supervise our children! Especially when they have strayed into dangerous territory.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Talk to his Dr. about the best methods for quitting. Besides keeping him on lock-down 24/7, which I know is impossible to do, you may be fighting an uphill battle during his teen years. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:46 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• I agree that you need to talk to him and you might educate him online together about the hazards of smoking. I don't necessarily agree with this, but one of my DH's uncles promised his daughter a car a age 20 if she never smoked. She did it and got the car. Is there any sort of incentive you could offer? Just an idea..........
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:15 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Thx for the advice. His older friends are 14 and 15, live at our apt complex. I thought it was safe for him to go to the pool with these boys and walk around the complex but I will have to change that now.
    jenny3344

Comment by jenny3344 (original poster) at 8:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• I can't promise a car but I could probably offer some incentives for him if he quits. I'll have to think about this.
    jenny3344

Comment by jenny3344 (original poster) at 8:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• I agree. I don't want him taking any meds like chantix or anything else. I'll talk to his Dr. That's a good idea.
    jenny3344

Comment by jenny3344 (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Take away his cell phone until he quits.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:37 AM on Dec. 1, 2013