Every kid will have to deal with racists/bigots at some point

Unless you keep them locked in the basement and feed them through a slot in the door, it's inevitable. Is it easier to explain when they encounter one who is blatantly open about it, or when they're more passive - people who think they're not the real racists, other people are, they just "tell it like it is"? Or the ones who suggest they're just interested in the Truth, and they didn't invent the Truth, they just convey it?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2013 in General Parenting

• I think it's "easier" to explain when your kids understand (generally) that people think what they think for a reason, and that many factors & experiences influence their perspectives, opinions & beliefs. It's "easier" to explain when your kids are used to recognizing this, and also are used to being well-understood, themselves, when their behavior is problematic. (In contrast to being pressured or leveraged to adapt, with no recognition of the underlying issues driving the behavior.) Kids can grasp a lot about the world with this perspective & experience base.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• I guess it depends on the age and the level of comprehension of the child. If you point out the more P/A type of bigotry they may not understand the nuance and instead come to assume that anyone that says something that could be interpreted a certain way is a bigot. We already have enough people that think they know what others 'really meant'. I think it's easier to point out the blatant kind of bigotry.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• I'm not racist and I brought up my kids not to be. When you think of racism you usually assume it involves Caucasians and African Americans. But not always. My kids are half Filipino/half Caucasian and have dealt with more racism than I ever expected. They actually look Mexican and have been called spics (excure the racial slur). They've been called flips, and questioned about what they are because they don't look "American". I tell them to ignore ignorant, rude people and be proud of who you they are. They are confident and have friends of all races. I'm happy. I did something right with them. They're not racist.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2013