British court ordered c-section on foreign woman and refuse to give back the baby a year later

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10486452/Child-taken-from-womb-by-social-services.html?fb

Should the judge have that right - and where should the baby have gone of the 3 options they had?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• First let me say, WOW!!

No, I don't believe the judge had that right! That's complete B.S.
    The first they should have done is contacted next of kin. Locking her up in a mental facility blows my mind too!
    I know I wasn't there to clearly know her state of mind, but it concerns me that Social Services and the Judge had that much power over this woman.

On the flip side, I know a lady, customer, who is bi-polar, she has a beautiful 7 yr old daughter. Mom got off of her drugs and has tried to attempt suicide multiple times. Their home is, what I've been told is in horrid condition. This poor girl has had to he the one to call 911 each time her mom needed an ambulance. It took Social Services forever before placing her in foster care. No immediate family members. I don't know the right answer anymore.

KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• I know I wasn't there to clearly know her state of mind, but it concerns me that Social Services and the Judge had that much power over this woman.

^^  This is what I can't wrap my head around.  It makes me wonder how far we are from that in this country.  I know that sounds tin foil hatty, but there are clearly people in positions of power that think they know best for the rest of us.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• wtf... That's all I can say!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Actually depending on the state of the person in question the judge does have that right, to order restriction to a mental facility and to order a c-section if that is what is shown in evidence that is necessary for the well being of mother or child.
    The kicker for me comes that she was incarcerated for 5 weeks before the csection and NO ONE was contacted, not the family nor the consulate of Italy.
    The American friend would be a very last choice IMO because that would mean sending the child overseas.
    Why was her husband not contacted or her parents or her employer?
    This is very dodgy and seems like someone's need to take and control this child for some reason.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• When I saw the title I was hoping to read on and find out this woman had a history of abuse or neglect towards children, but to do that to a woman because she has mental health problems it's outrageous! Unbelievable that they've got away with separating a child from its mother for so long.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 6:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• How sickening and scary. Her family should have been notified first. After the child was born if she was not able to care for it a family member should have been able to take the child until she was able to care for the child. There was no need to force a c section. If she were in a psychiatric hospital she could have delivered that child naturally. I'm not sure how it would work transferring the child to a different country but that should have been done (if a family member stepped in) I know when my aunt lost her child to dsfs, my uncle had to go through Illinois even though he lived in Wisconsin so I'm sure it would be a pain in the ass. This is just appalling period.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 7:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• What I don't understand is if she was in the hospital for 5 weeks before the forced csection, why wasn't any of her family there with her to prevent/stop this??? Am I misreading?

Answer by missanc at 5:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2013

• why wasn't any of her family there

Assuming she has family, it seems they weren't notified
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:55 AM on Dec. 2, 2013