How do i get DS 13 to stop smoking?

I closed this question but I want to reopen it because the replies really helped me and I want more answers.

I just found out that DS 13 smokes cigarettes daily. Apparently he gets them from older friends. I forbid him to smoke and for his punishment he has to go clean horse poop at a localstable tomorrow for 6 hours. II'm afraid he's addicted and is having a hard time quitting. I've smelled it on him since I found out so I know he hasn't quit yet. He just sneaks and smokes behind my back. He's too young for ecigs, nicotine gum or patches so how can I help him quit?

jenny3344

Asked by jenny3344 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 1, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• First of all, I doubt he's addicted. Second of all, you are the parent, he is 13. It's your way, all the way. You stay on his ass 24/7. You know where he is, who he's with. I'm sorry.... I had a daughter that was guaranteed to break all the rules at that age too. She came to think of me as her shadow. They have no rights in the home unless they are paying rent too. :)
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:24 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• As hard as this is, the only way is to remove him from the source.
    If it's friends, contact friends parents and tell them what your concerns are.
    Maybe they have the same worries.
    Don't allow him to be with the ones you suspect are giving them to him.

Put a tight leash on him. Are you a single mom or is dad in the picture to help?
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Only thing you can do is not let him have access to smoking.

Answer by louise2 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• BE THE MEAN MOM. Monitor the heck out of his activity. Take him to the doc and let the doc scare him straight about the impact of smoking.

You can also google some of the anti-smoking commercials that have been airing here in southern California and let him watch them… they can scare the dickens out of him.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:40 AM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Where is he running around unsupervised that you can't get a handle on this?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• I hear crickets?
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 12:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Dad is in the picture only on Saturdays. He is very mean and verbally abusive. We dont communicate well so i dont talk to him about things. I was letting DS go to the pool and walk around the apt complex with friends that live here. That's where he got the cigs. He wasn't running wild. I always told him how long he could be out and didn't always let him out. The kids always came over here to hang out. I thought I was doing everything right.
    jenny3344

Comment by jenny3344 (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Oh hi KTElite. We pmed last week and I deleted our messages and lost your screen name. I just recognized it. How are you?
    jenny3344

Comment by jenny3344 (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• "thought I was doing everything right. "...

Just because he is smoking, does not mean you aren't doing everything right. Kids will always try things to impress others.... It's called peer pressure. Surely you remember what that was like.

Just always happen to be there when he's with the others....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Make sure he has no $ to buy it..and monitor his outings...for God's sake he is only 13, have you lost reigns already?

Answer by older at 2:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2013