Is there some sort of disorder that would make a toddler obsessed with eating feces?

fostermama77

Asked by fostermama77 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you asked the child's Dr.?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• I have a 15 month old foster daughter that will do anything to get into her diaper after she has pooped. I plan on calling the doctor on Monday, but wanted to see what kind of answers I got on here. Thank you in advance for all of your help.
    fostermama77

Comment by fostermama77 (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• She has done it about 5 times in the 6 months that I have had her, but today was the worst by far...I am just at a loss as to why she would need to eat her feces
    fostermama77

Comment by fostermama77 (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• PICA
    google it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• I googled it, but wasn't too sure what to even google so I got some crazy articles. Thank you very much!
    fostermama77

Comment by fostermama77 (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• As she is a foster daughter...can you find out what her life was like before you got her? If she was starved and feces was her only source of food? Was she sexually abused? Was she brain injured in someway? These are the first questions that pop into my mind.

Then was she starved for attention and has learned that doing that gets your attention? If it is a "choice" behavior...then there is some "reward" she has learned that comes from making that "choice". If it's a "survival" behavior...then reinforcing her survival no longer depends on this behavior...should extinguish it. If it's a brain injury...what she thinks is food isn't...Does she eat normal food...in normal ways?

These are all things to investigate in order to treat.
    vanillaorchida

Answer by vanillaorchida at 7:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• I agree with vanilla ...I would also contact the foster agnacy to see if they know what her background was before comin to you! I think that and the doc will give you the best way of treatment.
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Thank you everybody :)
    fostermama77

Comment by fostermama77 (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2013