At what grade do kids need a laptop computer for school?

melbell131

Asked by melbell131 at 7:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• College?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Ummm never? I don't see a laptop as a "need" even for school.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Uh my sons in fourth and uses the laptop daily for school work.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Need? I don't know that it's ever a need. We homeschool, and my kids don't have laptops. They each have a desktop, but even that is not really a need - it makes life easier for me, and makes our day shorter so that when they both have computer work to do, they can work at the same time. But I could work around it if I couldn't afford or didn't want to get them any kind of computer.

If your school district requires one, then they'll be the ones to tell you when it's needed.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Why the need? Does the school have zero computers available?

Or does a student need it to enlarge type for reading? Transcribe text to audio? Or transcribe speech to text? At which point the school system should provide the equipment and software necessary FOR FREE.

That being said, educational budgets being what they are, funding cuts and economy being what they are...you might end up surrendering the fight for Free And Equal Access To Public Education rights...and just go get your own kid what they need.

In that case, so as not to waste your money on the wrong things, first have the child INDEPENDENTLY evaluated. (Schools have their own agendas.) Then discuss with the evaluator the results and what software would help the most. Then buy the hardware that that software requires.

Tablets are cheaper than laptops, get one that has a keyboard attached or wireless, apply a screen protector and INSURE it for any age child.
    vanillaorchida

Answer by vanillaorchida at 7:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• my kindergartner uses a computer on a daily basis at school, we are replacing her ipad very soon, the tablet we got her just isn't what she needs. So either a laptop or desktop for her.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 7:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• 5
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 7:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Depends on the school. My second grader uses his laptop almost daily, but he is homeschooled. It wasn't really a need though, more of a convenience for me.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Mine's been using a laptop in school since 6th grade. It's part of his IEP. Before that he was using an AlphaSmart in 4th and 5th grades.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• 5th grade and up our kids are issued MacBooks.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2013