Solutions for getting toddlers to take medication?

My 3 year old has been on and off Singulair powder packets for years with suspected asthma. When we started it we would just put it in his night time bottle and he'd take it all just fine but now getting him to drink it is a challenge.

We need to get him to take his asthma medication but no matter what we mix it in he won't drink or eat it all.

So what's worked with your children in getting them to take medication?

Any asthma controllers in pill form that have worked for your kids would be helpful too. Claritin didn't seem to work very well when we tried it last time FYI.

PS He's exercise induced so buying more filters,vacuuming the carpets and other such advice is not really gonna help.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 9:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2013 in General Parenting

• Choc. Pudding or yogurt worked for us.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• I'm not sure. Mine were both pretty good about taking medications.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• I agree try yogurt
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Tricky. Chocolate milk?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Mine was on a liquid that she said tasted like Apple juice so I had no issues. She's on an inhaler now. I'd see if liquid or inhaler with a mask is an option.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• Can you get it in liquid form? Most pharms with add flavor to the mixture for you.

I really did not have any trouble unless they were really sick and it was just painful to swallow.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2013

• When we used Singulair, it went into the lunchtime applesauce. He gobbled it down without fail. Now, though, he won't eat applesauce.

Find something that has that saucy consistency that your little one would beg to eat. That is your disguise.

Good luck.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2013

• We put it in chocolate pudding. Just mix it in a little bit of pudding in case he won't eat the whole thing. Then let him finish the rest,
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:12 AM on Dec. 2, 2013

• My daughter has had asthma since the age of three. Could you look into inhalers or nebulizers instead if other medication options aren't working out?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• mix it with food or something to drink
    christina122952

Answer by christina122952 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2013