Acrylic Painting

Does anyone do this? I am thinking about trying to paint. I have a few canvases, paints and supplies. What kind of things do I need to know? 

I used to watch "happy little trees" (cannot remember his name) all the time but I think he used oils and I know that is an entirely different medium. Can I use the same techniques with acrylics?

I have a few books but I am hoping for personal experiences here and recommendations. 

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 7:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• My ex husband used to watch Bob Ross every day and do his painting style all the time. I still have some of those paintings that he did. He tried some in acryllics as well as oils. Obviously I can't see them, but other people have told me they look nice. My ex was no professional, and there's some bias because people loved him as a friend and family member, but there have been many comments on how nice his work is in my home over the years, both in oil and acrylic. So I'd say give it a try. What have you got to lose?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• I'm not very artistic, but a friend of mine got me into acrylic painting just for fun. I only do abstract art and splatter painting. I used to watch Bob Ross(Happy little trees) too! The main difference is acrylic paint dries really fast, but you can paint on pretty much anything(Paper, card, canvas board, whatever you have to hand). Acrylic paint is hard to blend and can change colors when it dries. Hope this helps a little! :)
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 7:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2013

•  

I love Bob Ross.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2013

• I don't know much about it personally, but my daughter LOVES acrylics. I will ask her later on today what she would recommend.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• I loved him!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• I used to acrylic paint all the time. My first advice is to get true primary colors red blue yellow bc you can mix up any color if you don't get some funky shade like teal blue.Look for natural looking true colors then buy a huge tube of white. You'll use a lot. Then cut up squares of cardboard as a cheap canvas. Get some decent brushes in two or three sizes and an old plastic lid as your palette. Find a cool pic off a calendar or something and practice mixing the colors. Acrylics are great that they dry fast do you can put shade over shade until you get it right. Oils have a deeper richer color to them but I am way too impatient to let them dry adequately. Gl. I love acrylics!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• That's him!!! Could not think of his name.

Thanks for the info. It does help. =)
    SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Dec. 2, 2013