Do you have certain times your kids are allowed to have a snack?

My kids want to eat non stop then I am out of snacks before grocery day so I was thinking of starting to have certain times for snacks like between breakfast and lunch then lunch and dinner then bedtime but what times do you do your meals and snacks?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 8:27 AM on Dec. 2, 2013 in Food & Drink

• He eats when he's hungry and not when he's not. Snacks are typically fruit or veggies, sometimes cheese and crackers, so stuff we keep around anyway. The only packaged snacks we have are the ones for school, because they have some really stupid rules about them, but those are only for school.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2013

• Depends on what age they are. Toddlers are notoriously picky and they don't like to sit still for a meal. Mine never ate everything on their plate and I was not going to get into the habit of forcing them to eat. They would snack when they got hungry, otherwise they were playing and moving around.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2013

• I don't like them to eat when it would make them not be hungry for meals.

Answer by Bmat at 9:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2013

• I don't have specific times, like 10, 2 and 7. Nor do I get picky that it's got to be exactly halfway between meals or whatever. But I don't let them snack if we're less than about an hour and a half from a meal, because then they won't eat the meal. And if they don't finish a meal, they don't get to have a snack in the next little while. (By 'don't finish a meal', I mean if they eat less than half of a first serving) Other than that, if they tell me they're hungry, I'll let them snack. They're growing boys, they need to eat.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2013

• my oldest is 8 and a half my middle is almost 6 and my youngest is28 months and she actually eats better than the other 2 lol. She eats everything on her plate she LOVES food lol I have only found 2 things so far that she doesn't like lol
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 9:45 AM on Dec. 2, 2013

• I didn't have set times because I didn't want to encourage them to eat when they weren't hungry. I think offering fruit or veggie sticks, and healthy proteins if they are hungry is great. Keep snacks prepared in the fridge, ready to serve so it isn't a lot of extra work.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:42 AM on Dec. 2, 2013

• I let him eat when he is hungry.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2013

• They can have fruit, veggies and/or cheese anytime. Anything else they have to ask before they eat.

Answer by missanc at 11:02 AM on Dec. 2, 2013

• Not really, because people don't get hungry by the clock. But she has to ask, and we choose the snack together based on what she's last eaten and when, and how long it will be till the next meal. Healthful before junk, and a balance of protein and fruits and vegetables throughout the day. She's learning to make good choices.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• Yes. They have breakfast, lunch at 11-12ish snack at 3-3:30ish and dinner at 6 ish. Sometimes they get an after dinner treat.
    Anonymous