What do you think?

I'm about 5 weeks from my due date (jan 9th)...
*When is the best time to start packing my hospital bag?
*I haven't had too many braxton hicks (maybe like 2 or 3) is that normal when it's your first?
*any tips that i should keep in mind on the day of?

CollegeMommy89

Asked by CollegeMommy89 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2013 in Pregnancy

• No recommendations on when to pack. It all depends on what you want to take and if you are currently using those things.

Not everyone feels braxton hicks contractions. Feeling them is normal and not feeling them is normal.

Tips? Keep your car gassed up and remember how to breathe without hyperventilating. Don't push until you are told to. Always remember to call your Doctor when you have an important question. Always call the dr.'s office first.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• Pack the bag in a couple of weeks. Jot down items you are sure you will want just in case an emergency happens and hubby needs to grab stuff. Braxton hicks has no "normal" to speak of. If you don't get them at all it's still normal. The day of delivery There's nothing I can think of that can help you there. Half the stuff I took I didn't use and it got in the way of trying to be discharged. They usually give you diapers and sometimes even a diaper bag full of stuff like formula and wipes.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• If you haven't done so already, contact the hospital you plan to give birth in and ask if they do maternity ward tours or walks. This way you will know what to expect when you get to the room and they will let you know of anything you might want to take for comfort. They will probably also go over registration procedure and what is required before discharge. With my first, I had to attend a class where they basically just drill into your head that you DO NOT SHAKE the baby and they pushed the 'back to sleep' program. They had a bunch of diaper bags with formula samples in them and you could choose which brand you wanted to take at that time.
    Sometimes they also offer newborn photos where they will take a picture in their 'bringing baby home' outfit.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• Seriously, I just took the babies coming home outfit and a onesie. I also took clothes for myself & old panties that I didn't mind being ruined from leaks. Take a big bag because you will have a lot to brng home .
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• Pack it now. You're going to get sidetracked during the holidays.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• I packed about 4 weeks before due date, but I had my boys at 38 weeks. I always knew I would have them early. Braxton hicks will get more frequent the closer you get.

Take only things you don't mind being ruined.

Day of.... walk as much as you can (wish someone told me that with my first), it makes labor progress much quicker and makes it easier on you.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• Honestly, the whole "pack the bag" thing mystified me. Everybody hounded me about it, and I never did it. When the big day came, I threw a baby outfit in a duffel with a couple of CD's, some old panties, my purse, and off we went. I don't remember feeling any pre-labor contractions at all, but a lot of women do. I'm really excited for you. Best wishes!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• Al you need is a baby outfit, camera, toiletries (my hospital provided everything). I never opened my bag. It's best to wear a hospital gown for nursing.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• pack now, stay calm and stick to your plan.
    christina122952

Answer by christina122952 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• I had three kids and never had a braxton hicks contraction worth noting... I would take very little to the hospital as you will need a U Haul to bring home all the crap they load you up with... Take some panties for you, an outfit for the baby, car seat, and blankets... Also your toiletries like your comb, etc.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2013