CPS Response Time

If you're told CPS has to be notified of something....how long before someone contacts you from there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2013 in General Parenting

• Expect it anytime. Start cleaning your house. And make sure you have good food in the house. They look at that stuff. Make sure the kids look decent too. They will be looking at all that stuff when they come in to your house. If you let them in. If you do not let them in they will get the police to help them.

Answer by louise2 at 6:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• It depends on what the report is for.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• My 9 year old(has mood disorder, anger/aggression, and is known to lie a lot) told his counselor, a mandatory reporter, last Tuesday that I choked him. So the counselor told me he had to call and report it but he'd let them know my sons issues, and that I said I didn't, etc.

Im just wondering how long they take to come by or call, etc.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• This happened to a friend of mine. Same exact story I swear. Told his teacher that his dad choked him. He of course didn't... He was angry and shouted it to his teacher. Anyway, state was there within a week and the entire case was opened and closed in about 2 months. They had 3 home visit and 3 mandatory parenting classes. The case was closed as 'unfounded'
    Anonymous

• my mom had a really crummy old boyfriend when i was a baby. he had ties to a few gross junkies in the neighborhood and had someone in my moms apartment building call on her. she said the showed up at her door and i was running around the house naked shouting and playing. hair a mess and chocolate smeared on my face lol and i used to have bruises all over my legs ( i was a rough and tumble kid and was ALWAYS running into stuff) after talking with my mom and looking around they left and never came back. my mom never had a hard time. As long as you dont have anything to hide you will be ok. you should get your some help though.. and maybe you should seek some help as well since this is all coming from your son.
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 8:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2013

• They do not have to respond at all. I called, as an actual social worker, about a mother who admitted to choking her 15 year old, and they decided not to investigate since the mother was sorry and seeking help. It was insane. If they take the call they have typically 24 hours to respond. It depends on your state. They have the right to find there is not enough information to report. Especially if the school opens by saying they think the child is not telling the truth. I personally would be upset if my child said this and no one responded. It would mean they are doing a shitty job.
    Anonymous

• His therapist(not school related) told me yesterday they usually respond in three days. He seemed surprised I hadn't heard from them.
    Anyone who know us well knows how my son is and knows it'd never happen.

The therapist/counselor, whatever term you use....initially told me they may not do anything, or they may come knocking it would just depend on if they felt it was of merit but he had to tell them blah blah.

Im not mad they haven't come or called. I feel things should be case by case not just based on a statement. Especially of someone(adult or child) who is in therapy and has been for a while and is known to lie.

Thanks for the info ladies, appreciate it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2013