Would you do/say anything else?

My daughter came home crying yesterday. After many tears I got out of her that her teacher yelled at "her" (the class) yesterday. Why? because she was trying to be creative on an art project.

I called the teacher and found out that almost half the class did this project "outside the box" and, in the teacher's mind, ruined the whole thing. She told me yesterday that she's even considering throwing ALL of them away and making the kids do it all again. They did this on the heels of being disrespectful to a guest in the classroom.

What was the art project you ask? A thumbprint reindeer. The kids were supposed to add black antlers and red eyes. Maybe a nose? I don't know on that one, but many of the kids added legs (made it look like a bug/spider) and, like my daughter, got creative about the colors. My daughter made red and black antlers as well as red/black eyes.

I'm trying to chalk this up to a bad day and a frayed temper, but even after sleeping on this I'm not sure. Every day my daughter's class is the last ones let in in the morning, even if it's pouring down rain or freezing cold. When the teacher does finally open the door it's with a gruff, almost angry/frustrated "morning". She put in the newsletter at the beginning of the year that she only checks her email once a week, so if it's important find another way to communicate with her.

Would YOU say or do anything else, other than the phone call yesterday?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 10:36 AM on Dec. 3, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• So basically they didn't follow directions. This was not a free style project there was specific instructions they did not follow. I would probably ask my child why they didn't follow directions.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• My Son's Teacher was not great last year. We just trudged through. You can't change her so your only option would be to change your child's class if at all possible. Then it looks like your the bad guy, etc. for the future. Lets face it, some Teachers just should NOT Teach! Thank goodness his Teacher this year in the BEST! He loves her & he's learning a lot & very happy. So maybe find out who the Teachers are for next year & try to get a better one.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• I did DJ, she said she was trying to be creative.

I know that some of the kids in the class can be more on the wild side. Other than this incident yesterday, my daughter has said she loves this teacher.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• I would let it go. She probably was frustrated with the kids because they did not follow her instructions.

Who was the guest and how were they disrespectful?
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• It's not like it's math, or history. It's ART. Aren't kids supposed to be creative? If they are all supposed to look the same, then why bother doing it at all?

If it were me, I would email the teacher and ask that instead of throwing my child's art project away, if they could please let him / her bring it home to me because they were proud of what they made.  

And seriously?  A reindeer with red eyes?  Creepy.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:52 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• I don't know. To me an art project is all about getting 'creative', so I don't understand getting hissy about the kids decorating a reindeer the way they see fit vs her way. She honestly doesn't sound like a great fit for an elementary school teacher, but not much you can do about that.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:52 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• Who was the guest and how were they disrespectful? dunno, the teacher didn't go into details. She seemed frustrated that I was calling to ask about why my child was so upset.

instead of throwing my child's art project away, if they could please let him / her bring it home to me because they were proud of what they made I did that on the phone. I said more than once that I'd like to see my daughter's project, that it sounded really cool the way she did it. At the end of the conversation the teacher finally agreed to at least send my daughter's home so I could see it.

an art project is all about getting 'creative', so I don't understand getting hissy about the kids decorating a reindeer the way they see fit vs her way I agree. I wasn't understanding why the teacher yelled at the kids either. All I can think is that is was in conjunction with the guest.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• I like QM's idea of asking to send the artwork home, but it might not be a good idea to email her about it. She'll probably throw it away before she checks her email. ;)
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• All I can think is that is was in conjunction with the guest.

Probably. Is she a new teacher or maybe new to that grade?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:05 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• I don't think so. At the curriculum night she did most of that talking for the first grade teachers, there are four total. She's young looking.....30-something?
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2013