Having hours open only when daughter in school, is making job search really hard

any suggestions?
daycare for her after school not an option

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 10:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2013 in Money & Work

• Can you work at a Preschool as a helper or to do office work?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• How about before school? I used to have someone come early in the mornings that would wake my special needs son, get him ready for school and drop him off. She was a college student grateful for the little money I paid her and it allowed me to go into work early and get in a few hours while he was sleeping then in school.

Answer by missanc at 10:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• have applied for hundreds, including daycares and schools, plus office work
    not getting any interviews let alone offers for employment

thinking that i need to think outside the box and branch out and do my own 'business'
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• Not sure if its what you're looking for but many restaurants are hiring. Holidays are busy and usually people tip more than usual due to the "holiday spirit". I used to work lunch shift and they were good about making sure I was done in time to pick up my kids from school.

Answer by missanc at 10:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• How about ebay? Shop thrift stores for brand name clothes (kids clothes do very well) when she's in School. Then list, sell & ship!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• Another thought....work at a Macy's, etc for the holidays......similar to what missanc suggested. They usually are pretty good about moms having kids in school.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 10:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

Answer by missanc

will not work, ...who will be caring for my special needs child before school, if i am caring for another
    -------------------------
    Another thought....work at a Macy's, etc for the holidays......similar to what missanc suggested. They usually are pretty good about moms having kids in school.
    Answer by silverthreads

applied for work at the department stores in my area- they must not want me ;(
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• I worked at Ruby Tuesday while going to college, and they were really good about working with our schedules. Lunch shift was 10ish-2:30; it really depended on the pace, etc.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• Have you applied at the school? Cafeteria worker!
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2013

• have applied at local place, never herd of ruby tuesdays, but making me hungry- it is tuesday after all

the district i am in- has no hot lunches- but have gone on the city public school site and applied for open slots, not many, but a few, found some special ed aides- was really excited, but heard nothing back

feel like i have to think outside box, not only am i only able to work 9-2 m-f, but then i have all the odd days off of school, and of course holidays, summer break will not be working again, so will only be available these hours. MAYBE not this summer but next, she can handle daycare, but she is not there yet.

fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Dec. 3, 2013