What's the best way to get a giant tangle out of hair?

I'll admit it, sometimes I just don't brush my hair.. for awhile! Soooo, as a result, I've developed a giant tangle in the way back by the top of my neck. It's a dread lock! I've tried brushing it and untangling it with my fingers, no dice. I've even considered cutting it out, but that seems silly. Any suggestions on what I can do? and yeah, I'll brush my hair more often now. thanks!!

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 11:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• I have super curly hair, so when I get massive tangles, I use coconut oil and a wide tooth comb.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 12:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• My best advice is wet it, conditioner on it, and start at the bottom of the tangle and slowly work your way up as it comes free.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• Wet it in the shower and put a lot of conditioner on it. Then work at it with widest tooth comb you have.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• I purcahsed a thing called a wet brush, you get in the shower and when you put the conditioner on, it works like magic. I get a huge knot right at the base of my neck all of the time, I think I paid $10 for it, and am amazed how it cuts down on the hair loss from brushing.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• Gobs of conditioner.
    Combs/brushes don't touch my hair, but it gets conditioned and finger combed in the shower everyday.
    I've never had a knot that I deemed so indestructible that I thought I'd have to cut it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• My dd had a huge tangle in the back. I took her to the hair stylist and they pulled as much out of the knot as possible then cut it. At a certain point that's all you can do. Fortunately for her it was underneath and the hair on top was long enough and thick enough to completely cover where they had to cut.

Answer by missanc at 2:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• Wet your hair down works. Put cunditioner in it might work too.

Answer by louise2 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2013