what age to kids have to be to wash dishes

foriver

Asked by foriver at 5:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You'll have to call your local law office to find out the legal age.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 5:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• ^^that was going to be my answer too. Almost verbatim.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• Ha ha!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• There's no required age. I think it depends on your kiddo! If you have an ambitious toddler or preschooler, why not let them at it? Just be judicious in what you put out there (avoid breakables & heavily soiled items) and keep track of what they cleaned (you likely will need to rewash--or at least rinse!--what they wash.)

At this point, my 9 year old does a great job with hand-washing. It's truly a help. She has been washing at this "level" (not needing supervision, actually doing the job) for awhile. I never decided to "assign" this to her so I don't know the specific age; she just had the inclination and expressed an interest in helping that way.

I have two five-year-olds who started washing dishes as preschoolers. One in particular is game to wash and actually does pretty well. We have small-sized gloves for them all.

Kids enjoy contributing and feeling competent. And washing dishes is a really satisfying activity.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• My five-year-old has rinsed a few dishes and helped me load the dishwasher. I don't think I would feel comfortable yet letting her actually wash dishes unsupervised with soap and trusting her to get them clean, but rinsing them for the dishwasher is fine for her to do because they'll get sanitized anyway.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• My two are 11 and 9 and they both wash dishes and have for a while. It's your call when you want them to start, the only concern that I had with mine was I wanted to make sure they were responsible enough to not accidentally break the dishes.
    JulieMom2

Answer by JulieMom2 at 12:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2013