The Ugly Christmas Sweater office party (need ideas)

Ugh! I have a Christmas party that I have to go to (since it is during working hours). It's not the party that I am dreading but the fact that we have to wear an ugly Christmas sweater. Those things are expensive! I looked at our local thrift stores and they have a few but they are wanting $20-$30 for them. The party is this Friday and I am thinking I am going to have to make my own. I have seen a few on pinterest but I have no sewing talent whatsoever. Any ideas for an ugly Christmas sweater where I don't have to sew anything?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Just sew some tinsel and shit onto a sweater you already have. Use a different color thread so you can snip them and not ruin your sweater.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• Go get a string of battery operated LED lights to wear as a necklace thing. Get some plastic (glass looking) balls that you would hang from your tree and hang them from your sweater (an old one that you don't care much about works best - color does not matter). Maybe see if there is any holiday fabric with classic characters (Rudolph or Frosty) and you can cut them out and make them iron on with some stitch witchery, then trim them with some tinsel garland or something ugly like that.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• I love the plastic ornament ball idea. 

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• Just hook a bunch of ornaments on any old sweater. The more the better.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• good grief- what thrift stores are you going to?
    ....and I was grumbing about Savers today for charging the ame for used stuff as the dollar store does for new! haha
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• Ugly Christmas Sweaters go for a pretty penny, even more if they are title winners. It's a short season but brings in a lot of money. I made one for DH's office party. He won. It was super ugly. Had a Santa on the front and I sewed a little pocket for a push music button to go in it and would play a Christmas carol when you pushed Santa. It had ball fringe along the bottom hem, at the wrists and around the neck. LOL.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• there is a fabric glue called no-sew... use that to glue stuff on like tree shapes, ornaments and other Christmas stuff, Then decorate with glitter glue!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• Also, Wonder Under fusible web. You can take Christmas fabric, iron it to the wonder under and cut out whatever shapes you want, then iron it to the sweater or sweatshirt.....no sew, and it will even stay on if washed. I love the lights and bulbs idea though!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:53 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• I realize that this post is from December, but I'm just getting back into the swing of things with "Answers." I have to say that this is one of the best ideas for a themed Christmas party I've ever heard!
    jean_marie1987

Answer by jean_marie1987 at 9:22 AM on Feb. 18, 2014