Question for the older ladies ....

For those of you who have went through or are going through perimenopause and menopause ... 

Did your periods start getting like super screwy?

Last year ... eight months, nothing. Then in March (this year) damn thing shows up and comes regularly for the next three months and then nothing again for two or three months. Showed up in September ... nothing in October and November and this month, the bitch shows up. 

Oh and to make it worse, the cramps are HORRID. 

Any advice?????? 

*will be back later to read and comment*

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 8:34 AM on Dec. 4, 2013 in Health

• heard it is normal

i am 48, periods still regular, some clots but not bad, just a small notice of change

but, i have been having headaches days before period now for a year- this i think is hormones, did not have this when younger
    if i take a ton of D, week before period, chances of headaches seem to be cut in half

could try to take vitamins for women over 50, has more D and a few other things (forget what)

i heard most doctors will not give you hormones until your period is all screwy, so i am waiting for this. you could go on hormones if this is something you want to do.

so all i got is vitamins, especially D (helps my headaches, chance it could help your other issues?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• I had the Novasure procedure 4 yrs ago because of my erratic periods. They would stop, then get horribly heavy. I couldn't leave the house because of it all......

The ablation was the best thing I've ever done. No periods for the past 4 years. I also suffer from PMDD, so I still have the symptoms, but they aren't nearly as bad....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• My gf is going through this & it's normal.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Mine have been really horrible. I'll go three or 4 months without, then I'll have a horrible period, really heavy flow and bad cramps. I do have terrible bloating sometimes for weeks before my period does start again.

I think it's pretty normal. My cousin who is the same age went one year without a period, then just in time for her birthday it started again.

Luckily, I haven't had any other real symptoms, no hot flashes or night sweats.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• dealing with it about the last 8 or 10 months- unfortunately for me, I keep getting them earlier or extras
    I WISH it would skip. UGH
    in fact I had one start the 2nd week of Noember so I figured I'd be good when i went to visit hubby last week -but guess what? I got it again 2 weeks later, so it hit the day I got there and stopped the day I left.
    SERIOUSLY sh*tty
    I'm SO SO SO over this bleeding crap...

I have no idea if there is anything that can be done- get on birth control to regulate them maybe?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:59 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• And to think when I had a complete hysterectomy in my late 20's I actually had idiots who asked me "But don't you miss it?" DUHHH NO!

My body went into total shock. Major hot flashes with the freezer becoming my best friend.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:22 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Well, I'm not older and dealing with all that yet (though I think I may be getting close), but when I asked my doctor a few months ago about some issues I was having with my period getting really strange, she said that in perimenopause, they will get really weird - she said they could get longer, and shorter, and switch back and forth between them from month to month, skip months, or come twice in a month, etc.

No advice, though. Sorry.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Yes, it does get better but be sure to have you exams. It is an interesting time of life.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:43 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• I was a little different. I went from having a regular period to nothing the next month. The night sweats and hot flashes are what drove me over the edge. I chose HRT. I've felt great since starting it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• At 42, this screwy cycle thing has just started for me. Not to the extent that you have experienced though.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2013