What is considered a high fever for a 6 year old!

He is complaining of sore throat and leg pains!

AmyCov2020

Asked by AmyCov2020 at 9:07 AM on Dec. 4, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I would just take him in to the doc anyway.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 9:19 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Over 102
    and yeah,doctor

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:44 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• ^^^What they said & pain inside of the legs/arms etc. means it's a viral infection.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:32 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Doctor. Fever is 101 and above (for concern) 103 and above is high fever.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:45 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Above 102. By the time it hits 105 and higher you are frying brain cells (according to my EMT teacher for medical assisting classes). I would take him in anyway.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• I do not worry unless it starts to go over 103. My best friend is a pediatrician and she reassures me when my daughter is ill that fevers are normal. I give medication to break a fever only if it reaches 102. At 104 I will go in to see a doctor or the ER. But it rarely reaches this point. I wet cloths and put them under the armpit, elbow, over forehead, under knees and around feet. This cold wet cloth helps bring a fever down very rapidly. They do this in hospitals and I have had to do it for patients. I also remove all warm clothing from my daughter as well. I have drink slow steady sips of something to keep her hydrated and monitor closely. If there are rashes, if she is lethargic or in pain I go to the ER or doctor. If she has a fever that won't go down and break I will call the doctor. I try not to panic.
    Anonymous

• I agree at 103 it is time to at least call the doctor. It can jump quickly. But at 102 I start wet cloths and monitor so it doesn't jump. I have had a situation where she has had a high fever right from the start and that is jump in the car and race to the ER. Not so fun.
    Anonymous

• It's not always about how high a fever is but how the child is acting. WIth what you said about sore throat and leg pain, I'd be at the doctor. That happened to my son and he had a severe case of strep throat that took 3 rounds of antibiotics to kick and he missed 5 days of school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• Fever and sore throat. Could be strep throat. I would just call your dr. Fever depends on how he is acting.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2014

• Any thing over 102 is doc worthy.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 5:11 PM on Jan. 29, 2014