The kids at my son's school had to be taught how to walk down the hall(staying to the right)

and I was like seriously??
I was kind of taken aback and then this morning I saw it in action. We were walking on the sidewalk in front of the school and a group of maybe 6 or 7 kids came toward us. We were on the right. Instead of saying hey,there are people coming towards me,we should walk single file,they just walked right into us! We ended up having to walk in the wet,snowy,muddy grass to get around them.They acted like we were invisible.
I mentioned this to my son's teacher and she said yeah,they do this all the time in the halls. They just walk like everyone else doesn't exist. They also will drop something,and there it lies. Paper or a pencil fell out of my locker,eh,just let it lay there. She said that every single afternoon,the halls look like a tornado went through. They used to have a medium size box for lost and found,and now have 3 giant rain barrels for all the stuff left behind daily. Apparently they will lose something,and just shrug it off and ask for a replacement.
Are you seeing this as well in the age group of 11-19?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• RUDE.... This is what happens at the mall every.damn.day.

I always thought there was a basic way of walking. If you chose not to follow that, a simple "excuse me" or "pardon me" was all that was needed....

There is no common sense in the world any more.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• There's difference between not knowing and not caring
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:03 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• I see this with people in general. I wish people would follow some polite rules in public. In the mall, in the grocery store people just walk whatever direction and there is chaos.

I was taught to walk to the right and try not to block the path, but so many people don't follow these rules. I always think they should put a yellow line line down the middle of hallways and aisles with arrows pointing the direction you should be walking on each side of the line...wonder if it would even help!!

Of course, I live in Los Angeles, maybe it's better other places.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:44 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• They are really strict at my kid's school. There is no talking in the halls and it's all single file. If someone even looks behind them they get in trouble. I find it incredibly overbearing. They have a half hour for lunch. They have recess before lunch. So they come in from outside and line up by class in the hall by the cafeteria. They have to stay quiet and wait for the grade below them to vacate the lunch room. Then they file in by class, single file. They have assigned tables and can only sit at a table that isn't theirs if a parent comes to eat lunch with them. They have 20 minutes to get their lunch, sit, eat and chat and then at a certain time on the clock they all get very quiet and raise one hand and shape it like a closed duck bill (a sign to be quiet and finish eating). If they talk during this time, they get in trouble.
    This is just in elementary BTW.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:47 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• My ex husband does this, and my son has this habit too.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Isn't that the truth!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• the halls in the middle schools are too crowded to really notice if its a problem haha. the kids do have stupid signs on the stairs...one set of stairs for doing down another set for going up. i remember being taught how to walk in the halls in 1st grade and we had to be reminded of it for years. learning to think of others first takes some kids years...its nothing new. but if they arent being reminded of it at home, then they just arent getting enough reminders of why its important. also instead of yelling and berating the kids who dont learn it quickly, to the point that they follow directions out of fear instead of intrinsic reasonings, has gone out of style.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Next time, stop right where you are and make them go around.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:15 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Yeah,I'm leaning towards not caring. I'm not sure which is worse

The not caring...you can teach the not knowing, but you can't make someone care.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• I hate people.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2013