Is it too late?

With about 5 weeks left in the pregnancy, my dad really wants me to have my delivery in Winthrop Hospital but the OB i see and the doctor's office they arent affiliated with that hospital, and she told me i wouldnt be able to have the baby in Winthrop because they dont have any info on me since the time i started...i figured it wasnt that hard to transfer the info to them right? the one closer to me wh unfortuanately doesnt have the best reputation..is it too late to change OB's so that i can ensure that i will be able to have her in Winthrop?

CollegeMommy89

Asked by CollegeMommy89 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2013 in Pregnancy

• If you go to Winthrop in labor then they cannot turn you away but you will have a Dr. Delivering your baby that you never met before. If I remember correctly, you were going to have the baby at NCMC right? If you are not sure about their Labor & Delivery dept then why not ask your OBGYN if you can go in & visit it to see. IMO, you'll get much better care at a Hospital that YOUR OBGYN is affiliated with. Otherwise your only a number.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:41 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• @ILovemyPAulie: Yes, true good point i dont see good care to at NCMC i was there when my stepmom had her son and just observing the way they treat the mothers on the maternity ward doesnt seem very hospitable to me, and the rooms didnt look that sanitary either. I hear other moms talking about the hospitals giving you baby bags and diaper stuff when you leave, but i've never even seen that happen either at NCMC...dont get me wrong im not not saying i wanna go just for the baby bag but something about Winthrop they just seem more friendlier, because i feel like just a number in NCMC IJS maybe other moms who have given birth have had different experiences IDK
    CollegeMommy89

Comment by CollegeMommy89 (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• With this crappy economy, don't expect to get any Diaper Bags or extra stuff when you leave the Hospital no matter where you go anymore. When my Son was born I got tons of stuff then I had my Daughter & got nothing.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:31 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• The bag means nothing, honestly. That is simply advertisement for the various companies and samples. It is who is the representation and who is thier coordinator and what is being offered atm.

When you say the care of the mothers is lacking, what do you mean, specifically?
    What gives you the feel that it is unsanitary?

I am not a fan of changing doctors unless their is a very good reason and just because daddy wants you to is not a good one, IMO.

You can go to any hospital you wish, You will still pay your doctor the entire fee. You will also pay the the doctors who deliver in the other hospital. You will not get someone who knows you or is familiar with your history. You will just be someone who shows up.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:37 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• I would not change my OBGYN this late in the game, what does the Father of your baby say? Might be better to ask his opinion on it, and you can't just change your insurance coverage to someone else that easy, I remember that most of my L&D was paid for before I got to the hospital, don't you have to pay something towards your deductible each time you go?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:53 AM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Uh- why is this your dad's decision?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• It's never too late. With my first, I changed doctors when I was 8 1/2 months pregnant because I found out the doc I'd been seeing all pregnancy didn't deliver.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Yeah why is this your dad's decision?? I wouldn't do it. I want to stick with the doctor that knows me and my medical history. You may find you don't have time to go to the other hospital anyway. I don't see switching doctor's just for the hospital. Do you not trust the doctor you've been seeing?
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2013