what does it mean to you

this question goes out to all religions, ideologies, etc--it is about prayers--and i am not sure if you all pray--and what you may pray too--but when you do pray, etc--what is prayer do you and do you get answers and if so how?? the reason i ask this question is i complain because i pray to "god" and complain beause i rarely if ever really feel i get any answer--someone asked me well--what do you expect to hear--i thought that was an odd question--because i said--an answer to my question--because sometimes i ask "god" a question, and of course others times i just talk to him--but when you ask him a question, who doesn't expect an answer of some sort, right---or is it just me--just curious what others think, pray for, ect--it makes me doubt him, my faith, "god" etc--maybe i am unworthy of an answer, etc--just curious---and also wonder what others faiths, ideologies think on their behalf. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do pray to God. And he answers every prayer and every question, it just may not be in the way that you want, or in a way that is outright visible to you. God gives me the answers I need.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• What kind of answer are you wanting? An audible one? God doesn' t answer that way, but it doesn' t mean you can' t "hear" His voice. Somtimes you hear it by a thought or Bible verse coming into your mind. There are all kinds of ways He answers us. And I agree with the above person, He doesn' t always answer us in the way WE feel He should ~ He answers with what is best for us. It's usually yes, no, or wait. And you are definitely worthy of an answer. If He created you, and you are seeking Him, He wants to have a relationship with you. So therefore, you are worthy.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 10:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Meh, I talk to myself and I have conversations with my conscience. When I was a Christian I prayed religiously (no pun intended), and never had one prayer answered. I guess I didn't pray hard enough, I dunno. Now that I've put my fate into my own hands I get a lot more done.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I pray. Not everyday but I pray. There was a time when my youngest son was born that I turned my back on God b/c he was born with a cleft lip & palate and it really pissed me off. I actually yelled one time WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO MY SON! (i know there is worse out there but i was still pissed). I have a friend who is a Reverand and he came to see my son and me about 3 months after my son was born. I tols him about me blaming God for putting my son through all the surgeries he would have to go through. He then asked me why? I told him for putting my son through this. He told me there was a reason and if I ask he'll answer. Well later that day I decided to pray and ask Why? A couple of days later I started to get my answer. People started coming up to us & letting us know that their son/daughter was also born with a cleft. It made me want to start a group in my area & now there are a lot of us who know that we're not alone.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I would suggest a prayer journal jot down your prayers...how are you praying? Teaching lessons on prayer right now..God is ALWAYS available, God ALWAYS listens God ALWAYS answers. We just have to remember answers come in the form of Yes, No, Maybe and Not right now. In His time, He makes all things beautiful in His time. It took 17 years of praying for a child before He answered... and it was worth the wait!! (Remeber Isa. 40:31) Renew your strength..Have faith!
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 1:05 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Mine work differently, it's not about asking for things, it's just not how it works. It's about giving thanks, thanking them for what they've done, and thanking them for aiding me in doing the things I've done. And sometimes, that's exactly what you need to do to get through things - stop and reflect on what you have and what you have done, to remember what you are capable of, and why you may not need the help you think you need in the first place.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:16 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• your His girl. your always worthy. ask Him to show you what it is that is keeping you frustrated in your prayer life. there is a reason behind it-and its not just because you cant hear Him. there is a reason you cant hear Him, and you need to get to the root of that first. pray that your heart, your eyes and your ears would be open and that your spirit would be receiving to hear what God has to show you. and yes, there are times it can be audible, but there are also times its not.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 1:16 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I pray every day! It is usually the first thing I do in the am, and always the last thing I do in the pm. God has always answered my prayers! It's not always what I want, but I do get an answer. Sometimes the answer is 'yes,' sometimes 'no,' and sometimes 'not yet.' When you are looking for an answer, you have to listen. But sometimes in order to 'listen,' means you may need to read your Bible and ask God to 'show' you what you need to 'hear.' Every time I read the Bible, and it's not as often as I should, I always ask God to let me grasp and have the understanding of what he is trying to show me. You'd be amazed at the number of times I've just opened the Bible and my eyes would fall upon a particular verse, and it would be exactly what I needed. Remember always in the Bible...Hebrews 13:5, ..."I will never leave you nor forsake you."

zachsmom900

Answer by zachsmom900 at 1:18 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• personally I don't "pray" I mediate. It relieves my stress and helps me focus on my own problems so I can help myself in fixing them.
    But there could be many reasons you are not getting answers..
    1- are you sincere in what you are asking.
    2- are you positive you aren't really getting answer... or are you overlooking the answers you are getting because they are not what you were looking for.
    in otherwords, becareful what you wish for. (or as some might put it, if you ask for something selfish, or altering to another.. he may just show you a lesson as to why that is not the right path, rather than giving you what you think you want).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:29 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I'm not a follower of the Abrahamic God, I don't pray to that paritcular diety, but I do pray quite frequently.

I don't think the primary purpose of prayer (regardless of diety) is to ask questions, or for favors. The primary purpose of prayer should be one of thanksgiving, fellowship and blessing. Upon the occasions where that has been the reason for praying, I have never gone without an answer...

Just not always the answer I expected/hoped for, and not always in the timeliest manner, or in a manner that I expect. But the answer is always there, and it comes when I need it, not when I want it. And I have never had an answer not be what is best, even if I didn't think so at the time.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:02 AM on Feb. 20, 2009