Atheist group adds holiday display to the daley plaza.

As Chicago's Daley Plaza became filled with signs of holiday spirit last week, atheists added an emblem to the seasonal display.
The “Freedom from Religion Foundation” lit up a neon “A is for Atheism” display between a Hanukkah menorah and Christmas nativity scene at the plaza where the city erected its annual Christmas tree.

The 8-foot light display features a neon cursive “A,” standing for “atheist” or “agnostic,” and a banner that explains the winter solstice celebration, or the “the birth of the unconquered sun.” It also pays tribute to the birth of the Bill of Rights, “which reminds us there can be no freedom of religion without having freedom from religion in government.”

A similar solstice sign was also erected in Springfield.
“At this season of the winter solstice, may reason prevail,” the sign reads. “There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and

So on fb, some friends have called this ridiculous because it has nothing to do with the holiday season or spirit. That atheist are trying to ruin the holiday by forcing their non belief down their throat and so on.

My question is would it bother you to see an A next to baby Jesus and a menorah? Do you feel it's not the place or time for it?

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Atheist-Group-Adds-Holiday-Display-to-Daley-Plaza-234259441.html

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 12:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I'm fine with it, but I'm an A myself.

It does remind me of U of Alabama, tho.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• It wouldn't make me feel threatened or offended as a Christian because I am secure in my belief, but it would make me wonder if the atheists who put up the display maybe felt threatened or insecure, not in their personal beliefs but in their standing or position in society. The placing of the display alongside of the others in that way strikes me as sort of chest thumping or parading, which is usually done out of insecurity.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Oh good lord! This petty shit is getting downright ignorant. Should the witches come put up an huge pentacle?

The holidays are not supposed to be a fucking pissing contest!!! It is not about who has the bigger damn dick!! Both groups are fucking school yard children who need to be sent to time out!!!

Put up a fucking 30 foot tree and decorate it in pretty silver and gold and leave it at that!!! Stop this stupid shit that goes on every fucking year!!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• i have no problem with the A symbol, seems like it would fit in nice and pretty being lit up. i also understand the need for the explanation and the Bill of Rights statement...

but why the "all your faiths is wrong!" negativity in the second display? i get that they are just stating their beliefs, but it comes off so childish. its more than just saying "we dont believe" its saying "you have faith b/c you arent as smart as us" when they use the whole "reason" line. many Christians and Jews have used reason to come to their beliefs and its this kinda attitude that makes ppl irritated at Atheists.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• I would not care. But it seems a little bit ridiculous to bash some one else's belief while claiming the right to your own.
    This is so silly in my opinion. Why not put up an A is for Atheist and let it go at that? But this is no skin off of my nose.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Fine by me. Isn't it great that we can live in a country that doesn't favor one religion over another? So how long before the Christians demand it's removal? I would love to see it in person.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• I'm all for freedom of expression so, this doesn't bother me. Whatever floats your boat. It's a constitutional right. It's the freedom FROM religion that bothers me, as in "You can't put that there because that offends me."
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• If I go I'll take a picture for you 2autistics.

I see where some may find the post negative. I do believe you can state your beliefs with out saying others are wrong, even if you feel they are. At the same time I feel any religious or non group that wants a Christmas desplay should be able to have one.

skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• As an atheist i find it rather silly. I dont need a giant sign to fulfill my spirituality. However they are free to do as they wish.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2013

• So it is forcing their beliefs on others but the Christians and Jews can do it and it is fine? I personally think it is ridiculous but they have every right to do it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2013