Did you have a best friend/neighbor kid when you grew up?

I did. She lived next door & we played everyday in the summer & went to school together on the bus. We did our hair the same & our Mom's dressed us in the same clothes (it was back when there wasn't a mall near us so we all shopped in our small town).

I ask this because things are so different today. There are no kids close to my Son's age near where we live. He plays alone or with his little sister unless we go to a party, school function or the Library. No one is big on play dates here either. No kids ride bikes now either

I think this is so sad. I wish he had a close friend next door or close so he could play outside like I did.

So, did you have a best friend to play with every day when you were a kid and do your kids have the same?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 1:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When I was really little (like kindergarten) there was a boy who lived next door who was a year older than me. His name was Jacob and we always played outside. Our properties were divided by these huge trees, so we'd play hide and seek in them.

We also had some family friends who lived on our cul-de-sac, who had a son a year older than me and a daughter two years younger (my sister's age). They were our best friends, probably.

I was lucky because the kids I went to preschool with were, for the most part, the kids I went to school with up until I moved away in 7th grade. And the majority of them graduated high school together.

And nope, things sure aren't like that anymore. My son has school friends but he probably won't know them forever.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Yes, his name was Howard. And even though his parents bought him every Star Wars toy on the planet, he still preferred to come to my house and play Barbies with me.
    I knew Howard was gay before he did.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• until I was about seven, there were lots of kids of all ages.
    We moved and not until the summer did I see anyone my age. The closest was about 5 blocks away and that was fine for me but then she left the area and there was no one my age at all. I rode my bike alone and skated and minded the little kids and taught them how to play different things. I was fine.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• i grew up in one of those suburban neighborhoods and had several friends but 2 that i still talk to and consider BFF's. i saw them almost everyday. and i remember riding bikes to their houses at 7-8 years old unsupervised and then we'd ride all over the neighborhood together with no parents around until the street lights came on.

things are a lot different for my 7 year old but there are several kids on our street, one family moved in two years ago and another little boy has been there since she was 2. we ride our bikes together, i don't let her go anywhere by herself. but i do let her play outside with her friends, the rules are just much more strict for her.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Yes, I had a best friend who lived fairly close. Not next door, and I didn't live in a typical "neighborhood" so not down the road from me either, but I just had to go across our property (a couple of acres) and across a big field behind the church next door, to get to her little dirt road. There was a small "pine forest" right there, and then a curve in the road that led to her house. We met when the preacher's two boys (who lived down the road from me, in the church parsonage) went "exploring" and got all the way to her house.
    We stayed and played, and that's how we became friends. She was in preschool then. (I think I was in kindy.)
    The boys moved away within a couple of years (they were my best friends from the time I was 4 until about 7) but Hannah & I grew up together.
    My kids just have school friends (they go to a private school one state over, about 20 minutes from our house) and each other. They do play together.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• until I was in high school, I had tons of good friends that were all right there in the neighborhood for me to play with. Then we moved to the neighborhood my kids and I currently live in (same street and everything from when I was in high school), and there was, and still is, no one. There are two boys that are my older son's age, but they are NOT the kinds of kids I want mine to hang out with. Then there's another boy that's my younger son's age, and he's okay, but his mom is a bit flaky, so we limit playing together to at our house, which doesn't happen very often.

Mostly, my boys play with each other or alone, except for when we get together with our homeschool group at the park, or go to parties, the lake with friends, things like that. I try to get us together often, so they can play with other kids, but...doesn't always work.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• She wasn't next door to me, but from the time I was in junior high I had someone who was like peas to my carrots, marriage, moving, going along time without seeing one another, and we could pick up where we left off. She died 2 years ago of breast cancer, it seems crazy to me that I can't pick up the phone and call her. Her husband is now remarried to what can best be described as a HOOCH. 24 years old and he at the age of 55 is thinking about having a baby, meh.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• I grew up with a bff across the street but then we moved. We don't keep in touch. I think kids today are used to this mobile society we live in. My kids and I have moved many times and they make new friends wherever we live. Some are temporary and some last longer.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• My first best friend lived just down the street, so we hung out all the time. She went to a private school, but there were other kids in the neighborhood for me to walk to school with and ride a bus. I moved when I was 12, and made a few new friends in the next neighborhood. My bestest of friends lived about 5 miles away, but we still got together most weekends, especially once we were driving. We're still bff's after 25+ years, thanks in large part to the internet.

We aren't in a very safe neighborhood right now, so DD's friends are limited to those she goes to school with. We're looking for a new place soon that will hopefully be a lot more social.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• LOL, Partygal my best "boy" friend was named HB, my Dad knew he was gay and HB was the only person of the opposite sex to be allowed in my room, BTW, who names a kid HB, it didn't stand for anything, just H.B.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2013