What paperwork do I need to take temp custody of my niece?

My brother and the baby's mother are going through the court system regarding a fight that according to the mother the baby was present for. The judge is considering removing the baby and my husband and I have been asked to take the baby. I just want to know what kind of information CPS will need from us, I called but word is they are getting ready to strike so I was not able to get information. We just want to have everything together so that my niece does not end up in foster care while we take care of the paperwork?

brandybarnes

Asked by brandybarnes at 3:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• call the office of the judge that is handling the case
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• I agree with Crafty but my guess would be they want to make sure you have room and the ability to care for the girl, that your home is fit for children, that you and your husband won't harm the child and don't have troubling criminal backgrounds(not all criminal background would make you not eligible), that you have food in the home etc and that you will protect the child from the parents and follow all the regulations of the court as far as visitation etc.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• They are both going to have to consent to you taking her, if they are in disagreement, you might have a hard time, as Crafty said call the courts.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2013