Down Syndrome Screening

Hi all,

I am a new member as of today, I went for a scan today at 22+6 and my babies Nuchal Fold was 7.7, the sonographer has said not to worry but this could be an indicator of DS, I am now awaiting a phone call to go and see a specialist for another US which is when we will find out more and what our next steps are- obviously I am worried and just wondered if anyone else got the result and what the outcome was? We had the early screening at 11+6 and this came back clear so my mind was at ease and now I just feel like rubbish to be honest, the sooner I know, the better I will feel!!

jadelouise1991

Asked by jadelouise1991 at 5:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2013 in Pregnancy

• i do not remember what the numbers means
    but i got higher than normal risk for downs after a "marker test"- do not remember what it was,
    then had amino and got an all clear

sorry i am no help
    but early on got a little scare, then an all clear

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• anything helps, so thank you... The sonographer said that its 1mm more than what is suggested as normal, I just hope and pray all is OK!!
    jadelouise1991

Comment by jadelouise1991 (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Just so you know that test has a poor accuracy rate. Wait and see what the specialist thinks, but keep in mind it could still be wrong.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:29 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• I really wouldn't stress on it, unless you have the amnio (and that has been known to be wrong), it is also a risk for miscarriage, the thing is you can't change if it is or isn't a baby with Down's syndrome. Down's isn't something that is going to kill the baby or harm to you to carry him/her so why not just concentrate on having a happy baby? Good luck and welcome.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• my DD tested high probability for neural tube defects and my DS tested high probability of Downs... both born perfectly normal. That test isn't very reliable... even the docs know that!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Thank you so much that makes me feel a slight bit at ease. I feel silly for being worried but this is just a natural reaction- don't get me wrong because if my son turns out to have DS I would feel exactly the same as I do about him now and I love him with all of my heart. I; just like any other expecting parent, don't want my child to suffer!! I have read everywhere that the Nuchal Fold test is not accurate at this stage but never the less I am scared and just wish that the specialist would call already!!
    jadelouise1991

Comment by jadelouise1991 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• An ultrasound tech is not allowed or experienced to discuss anything from the ultrasound since they did not go to school for that, only to do imagining. I'd wait for the phone call. All I cared about at my 20 week scan was the gender and if baby was growing and being healthy. I declined all other tests for Down syndrome or other abnormalities.
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 11:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• I have received a call today I have to go on Monday at 12:30 I just feel so worried :(
    jadelouise1991

Comment by jadelouise1991 (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2013