How do I stop a 2 year old from changing her clothes 10 times a day?

I've started giving her time outs if she changes without asking and it seems to be working... except at night when I put her to bed. I'll check on her in the middle of the night and her jammies are off, and shes either in regular clothes or just in her undies, with other outfits that she has tried on all over the floor. Its so frustrating! We don't have room anywhere else for her dresser, so it has to stay in her room. I dont know what to do! Do they make child locks for dresser drawers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We had the same problem. I ended up taking all of her clothes out of her room.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 10:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• Yep - locks on the dresser drawers. When my dd was taking her pjs off at night I cut the feet off some older one piece and zipped them up backwards (she couldn't reach the zipper to get them off). She stopped.

Answer by missanc at 10:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• That is annoying, and you got some great suggestions above. I lol'd though because I'm not folding your laundry, therefore it is pretty darn cute!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• This is very normal. It is a new skill and she is working on it and playing with it and showing it off. Take all but a change of clothing out of her room amd if necessary look your door where you will keep them. It passes. You want to allow her to change but limit the mess.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• How can a 2 year old reach the clothes in the closet?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2013

• PartyGalAnne- If you read the post correctly you would see that I was talking about her dresser, not a closet.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• That was me PGA I suggested putting them in a closet that could be locked.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:59 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• How about getting her a set of "dress up" play clothing? Like princess costumes, etc.? We had gotten some old adult shirts that we gave to the kids to play dress up with, and they LOVED it.

But I agree with the other suggestions of taking out her clothing (or putting the locks on the drawers), and getting her some "play things" that is OK for her to practice dressing/undressing with.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:59 AM on Dec. 5, 2013