Crafty... I NEED you!

My husband was on a really long drive for work today. It snowed all day and the roads were BAD. At one of his stops he slipped on the running board as he tried to step into his truck and in order to not fall and hit his head he grabbed the steering wheel and hit his shin hard on the running board. It hurt, but he had so much to do he just pressed on and finished his deliveries. When he got home he looked at it the first time and it looks pretty bad. He said it doesn't hurt unless he stands up or touches it, but after seeing the pictures he mom is sure it is broken. Could it possibly be broken if he can still stand on it. He said the pain is not that bad, he said it feels more tight than painful.

Anyone besides Crafty have an opinion?

Anyway... he has a full day of driving tomorrow too. Poor guy!

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 11:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2013 in Health

• When I was a kid I fell. My mom asked if i could move it, and I could, so she said I was fine. I fell again 6 months later, and because it happened at school my mom was forced to take me to the doctor. It was broken, and the doctor said it had been broken before. So, your DH might want to get it checked out.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:00 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Oh, it was my arm, forgot to say that
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:04 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• OUCH!!!

He really should have that looked at.
    5 years ago I tripped on a pallet Jack at worked, it hurt, but not bad so I continued my shift. I got home, looked a my foot and it looked like his leg. Went to the ER and sure enough, I broke it and pulled ALL the ligaments and tendons in my foot. I was off work for 6 months!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 12:08 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Oh fuck! Don't say that! Their other drive just broke his hand and is out for at least a couple of months!
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Let me see if I can track Crafty down..
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 12:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• He could have a hairline fracture. And yes he could use it as he normally would with some to increasing discomfort. Should he put too much pressure (even just a twist) and it could be a full fledged fracture. I would go and have an ex ray to be sure.
    DD did this with her arm at school and the teacher said she was just fine. The nurse said it was just fine. I am weird and "felt" it was not by the way she was talking. She went through almost an entire day of school being uncomfortable. Sure enough it was broken and both of the bones. She came in with a cast the next day and the teacher honestly thought it was a prank. She was then mortified that she hadn't called me.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:14 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• He won't go until after his shift tomorrow. He doesn't want to leave them in the lurch. Damn stubborn JACKASS!
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I was just like him SB! I didn't want to leave my co-workers short handed, lol
    Tell him to take some Ibuprofen to help with the inflammation and swelling.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 12:21 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I hope Craft gets on but maybe one of those bandage braces will give him some support until he can have it looked at but he needs to report the accident to the company first thing tomorrow and tell them he will have it checked out tomorrow night.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:23 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• From the looks of where it is it's Probably not broken, especially if he was walking on it. If it were on the outside of the leg I'd say X-ray for sure (fibula vs tibia). The tib is the main weight bearing bone in the lower leg and it's hard to walk on if fractured. He needs to ice like crazy. 20 min, then let it warm naturally, then 20 mints again. No heat!!! When not icing wrap with a 6 inch ace wrap from the ankle (below the injury) to the bottom of the knee. Personally I would not go to the ER unless there is no improvement in 3 days or if things get more painfull. One thing to look out for is if the swelling increases to the point the skin in the calf is shinny. That is a medical emergency... Look up compartment syndrome. If that happens go ASAP as circulation to the foot is compromised and that's a huge deal. Also have him do some ankle pumps to get the bold flowing. Basically if it hurts don't do it!! Cont.......
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:04 AM on Dec. 5, 2013