Went wedding dress shopping today with my daughter and...

woah...so, if you get a dress with any kind of train, you have to pay for alterations to fix it so it can be bustled? WHAT THE?! I'd think that was already part of the dress...

we told them limit of 500 and I think she brought 1? that was under 499
and a few that were over
then add alterations and yikes

we had found a dress my daughter LOVES online, but I looked up review for this site and I'm REALLY leery now, but I cannot afford 800 bucks for a dress (with the alterations) *she found 2 she loved there

now what?!
did any of you order your dress online?

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 12:07 AM on Dec. 5, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• Also if you do decide to online, get her measurements. DO NOT SHOP BY SIZE. Back in my dress shop days I could fit in some 4's, and other brands the 10's were too tight.
    If she's going to need it hemmed, look at the stitching to see how easy it is to remove the trim. Otherwise it has to come up at the waist which is way more difficult. Make sure she has on the shoes, bra, and any other undergarments she will be wearing to walk down the aisle (if she wears a slimmer or spanx) when she gets fitted. Not doing this will result in extra alteration charges. (You'd be surprised how much a missing underwire can change the fit of a gown). My shop wouldn't fit you without shoes and bra.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:46 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Please say you did not go to David's Bridal?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:07 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I used to work in bridal. And, personally I'd never buy a dress online.
    And, yes alterations are always extra. That's just the way it is.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:09 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• RUN AWAY NOW!

Seriously! Go to any other bridal place. Local ones are much better. My sister bought a $800 dress and it ended up costing her twice that $1582, by the time she was done. They are a total scam!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:12 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Don't go to David's. Go to a locally owned shop. You may pay more for the dress but, less for the alterations.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:37 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Go to a small local shop, and shop the clearance racks. Most of them include alterations with the price of the dress.
    You can look for a detachable train.
    You do not want a seamstress to sew an entire dress for you. That will cost more than the dress shop gowns.
    And that whole "It takes 6 months to order your dress" is bullshit.
    You can call around to dry cleaners and most of them will know of someone who does alterations.

A bustle is simple. Find the center back of the train, sew a loop (or make a french tack), bring it up to the center back (most likely near the bottom of the zipper) and sew a hook. I can do them in my sleep.
    Unless she's bought some crazy 1990's dress with a cathedral length train, that's all she needs.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:42 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Do NOT buy a Dress Online!!!! She NEEDS to try on the dress before she buys/orders it. Don't let the Bridal shop alter it. Go to a small dress shop to have it altered, you will save money. That's what we do/did.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:01 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• yeah it wa David's...
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I had mine custom made by a seamstress. It was exactly what I wanted, and it was only $500. This was 26 years ago, but you might look into it.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:11 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I also had mine custom made and only paid $200. If she is not looking for a dress with a lot of beading, then custom made might be better.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:14 AM on Dec. 5, 2013