I just went to the doctor today and the baby measured 8lbs 4oz. I have GESTATIONAL DIABETES should I be worried? Do you think they are off? I am 40 weeks today..

Kal-Elsmom220

Asked by Kal-Elsmom220 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• not if your due now...Why hasnt your dr. induced you?
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• You shouldn't worry because there is nothing you can do about it. Besides those things are not that accurate. They measured my baby at around 8 lbs and he ended up being 9 lbs 6 1/2 oz. A woman I know had a baby measuring at 11 lbs!!!! and it turned out to be only 7 lbs. So you just have to relax and see what happens.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• oh yeah I had that to btw...and they cant actually give you a right measurement its either more or less, but my cousin had a 9lb baby and didnt have gest. diabetes.That junk sux doesnt it? lol
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Almost everyone in my family has diabetes and from what I understand women with diabetes have bigger babies. the babies born in our family have all been healthy. plus you should be having your baby soon right? dont worry.
    Anonymous

• 8lbs is not a big baby, and why does everyone expect inductions? That is extremely sad that once you hit 40 weeks everyone says "why haven't they induced you?" seriously? like you expire at 40 weeks?

I wouldn't worry at all. Your baby may be smaller then the doc says, and you could have that baby anytime now. Even a 9 lb baby can be born vaginally with out any issues. You aren't even suppose to mess with a pregnancy unless the baby is expected to be 11 lbs or OVER.. nothing under is cause for an induction.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Don't worry it can't help to worry. But do do whatever you need to do. I weighted 110 lbs before pregnancy and had one baby 10lbs 2oz natural and the next year a baby 10lbs 10ozsnatural, but I did not have gestational diabetes. And every woman is different and body size doesn't necessarily tell you about hips size. What I did that helped me so much was eat right and exercise all the time. I was something of a health nut. I also read every single book I could get my hands on about it, took multiple childbirth classes and talked to every professional and elder I could find about pregnancy and childbirth. I might of been excessive in my studies but it helped me. Good luck in whatever course your pregnancy takes you.
    wvamomma

Answer by wvamomma at 11:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• sounds like a nice size baby. what's the concern? i delivered a 9 1/2 pound baby lol 8 4 sounds like a treat.even at the typical 1/2 lb per week at this point in pg, if you went to 42 weeks he still wouldn't be a monster baby. GL!
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 11:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Why Didnt Your Doc induce you? i had gestinoal diabetes and they induced me at 38 weeks they said my baby was around 8lbs too and when the baby came he was only 7p 120z
    Anonymous

• Don't worry. Those things are not accurate. They said my sister-in-law would not be able to have her baby if they did not induce her because the baby was already 9 lbs. So they induced her and he was born weighing just over 7 lbs. Another lady I know just had a baby and they said he was at least 9 lbs. and he ended up being 61/2.
    Katieasmom

Answer by Katieasmom at 11:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I said that celtic lady because gest diabetes is dangerous if not taken care of properly.Most of the time they will induce you because of that.Its considered high risk duh!My son was perfectly healthy and fine and I was induced sometimes mother nature needs a lil push and nothing is wrong with induction if it means making sure the mother is safe.I could go on and on about gest. diabetes.....
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2009