Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back and leg pain?

I somehow hurt my back last Monday, (Nov 25) and it took a few days for the severe pain to dull down and for mobility to come back. It still hurts, but nowhere near as much. All my pain seems to be linked to just above my left butt cheek. Sitting here, if I lift up my right leg, I get pain in that area. If I lift my left leg, the same pain. If I lift my left leg and then bring my foot up, it hurts a lot. :( However, the thing that is worrying me now isn't the back pain, but the pain that has gradually appeared in my left leg. When the pain in my back started going away, I started to notice what felt like a tightness in my left thigh and sometimes calf. I ignored it, but it suddenly grew from tightness to pain yesterday, and now it hurts to walk. Is it possible that I somehow pulled a muscle enough to cause pain from my bum to my ankle sometimes?

I have not seen a regular doctor since I was, well, a teen... so I don't even know if this is something they can deal with...

Answer Question

Asked by Squeekerz at 9:30 AM on Dec. 5, 2013 in Health

Level 5 (89 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • Maybe look up sciatica and see if that's the pain you are experiencing. I pulled something in a leg during the summer and have been dealing with sciatic pain in one leg since the summer. Stretches help some, but there are days when it's really uncomfortable to sit. And it hurts from right above my butt (on one side) all the way down to my knee, sometimes my ankle when it's really flaring up.

    Honestly, I don't know how to get rid of it though.


    Answer by QuinnMae at 9:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

  • Hm. I can't tell if that's it, to be honest. The pain isn't in the back of my thigh, (1/2) but at the 3/4 mark, if that makes sense. Basically, it's more towards the outer side of my thigh, but not quite the side...

    Comment by Squeekerz (original poster) at 9:44 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

  • Start with a primary care doc. They can refer you to an orthopedic back specialist, or they could refer you directly to physical therapy, depending on what's going on with your back. If it's sciatica, or any other back issue for that matter, PT will help a great deal.

    Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.