For those who go to a gym

What gym do you go to? Do you like it? Is it cost effective and do they offer classes like Zumba polities or yoga? I'm thinking about joining a gym and I was wondering what ?s should I ask. Any advise or tips would be helpful

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 9:41 AM on Dec. 5, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• YMCA has some great facilities in different areas, so I would recommend looking into them. Most of the one's I know of offer a lot of classes, have daycare and also offer a lot of programs for kids.
    Lifetime is great, every person I know that has been a member LOVES it. Their price is what scared me away.

Things you need to keep in mind are classes they offer and the class schedule.
    Contract stipulations (how long and how to cancel if things don't work out for you there).
    Payment requirements (up front, monthly automatic debit).
    Possible daycare needs and what they require (ours requires reservations for kids under 8 and those times book up two days in advance for class times). If I had a toddler and wanted to take a morning class and needed daycare I would have to call them at 5:30 am two days in advance to reserve a spot in the daycare.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:07 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• We go to one that is very similar to Lifetime Fitness, but much less expensive. They have a lot of classes (yoga, Pilates, Pi-Yo, all sorts of cardio classes), as well as some classes that you pay a little extra for (Zumba). Tons of cardio equipment as well as a crap load of weights. An indoor and outdoor pool and gyms to play basketball, racquetball, and meeting rooms too. They are about half the price that Lifetime fitness would be for our family of four and they also offer daycare / tween care where they have a game room and movies for kids that age of my kids (8+).

First thing I would see is if they require you to have a contract. We pay for a year at a time for the best price, but we are not under a contract. If we wanted to go month to month we could. They also do not require automatic debit which I would never do anyhow.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• What exactly are you looking for in a gym? Are you wanting to primarily take classes? There are lots of places that do yoga where you can buy a membership or buy a certain number of classes. If you are looking for the total package then a gym is probably your best bet, but you should ask for a copy of their class schedule and then find out if they have a week trial membership or sometimes they will offer 3 days for free. If they do, TAKE IT and don't sign until you use the facility to see if it fit's your comfort level. Always go when you would normally go, do not try to go on off peak hours and then expect that traffic will be the same during peak times. If the machines are all taken when you would normally go, then it may not be worth the time and headache. Also remember that memberships sell at the end / beginning of the year for resolutioners, so traffic will increase in Jan. and then drop off after that.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:57 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I go to a local gym.....they have no classes in this particular one but their chain of gyms in other locations have spinning and a few other things, but I go for the weight lifting...not interested in any classes. I did classes for many years and only got spectacular results with the weight lifting. You should look for individual places with the type of classes you are looking for and pay as you go....

Answer by older at 10:01 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I got to Fitness 19 and love it. No signup fees, no contract and for $14/month I have my membership and child care for my littles when I'm there. The only classes they have are boot camp classes in the morning/evening, outside. It's a no frills gym (no sauna, pool, juice bar, bring your own workout towel, etc) but it works for me. I've been a member of more expensive gyms and found I don't use the "extras" enough to justify the cost.

Answer by missanc at 10:25 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Really depends on what you're looking for. If you want something kinds bare bones, go with something like Planet Fitness. If you want a pool, sauna, hot tub, massage, classes, etc, look to see what the local gyms offer and what their pricing is. It's really a matter of what's important to YOU. I like bare bones, personally, though classes can be nice (spin, Zumba, yoga, etc). A pool is great, but I also have a pass to the community pool near my house.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• I belong to Fitworks and have tried YMCA. Both are very affordable with no contract. A lot of places will offer a free trial membership for as much as one week up to a month. I know fitworks has a 2 week trial. Be sure to stay firm and not to commit until after you try around. Their marketing department has studied how to get people to commit so I would state your intentions right from the start.

I love having a membership and the classes are my favorite. I like that it pushes me to work out for the entire length of time.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:09 AM on Dec. 11, 2013