I want to have a family reunion for the holidays at my home, but don't want people bringing alcohol. How can I tell them not to?

My cousin is an alcoholic and has been for years. She is in her 50's now. My aunt, her mother, is also an alcoholic, although neither one of them will admit it. Anyone who drinks constantly and without control or a stopping point is an alcoholic. If there are 10 bottles of wine in a house she will not stop until all 10 are empty. So, here is my problem. I want to have a holiday party and I personally don't like alcohol or want drunks in my house. There will be children and I want it to be a nice family environment without the drunks. I do want them present, so either I have to invite them and tell them not to bring alcohol or I just can't invite them and then wait until they find out and ask why they weren't invited. What to do?

christianmom423

Asked by christianmom423 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2013 in Entertainment

• Send out an invitation and say on it no booze allowed. It is your home and you need to be up front with them about not allowing drinks at your party, it is up to them if they come or not.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:43 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Have brunch & then make them leave early. If you say no alcohol allowed they probably won't come anyway.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:45 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Honestly, I would never have the party. I have many alcoholics in my family, and they either drink before coming to my house, or they leave the party after a short time so they can go somewhere else to have their fix. It's just not a good situation no matter how you look at it.

But, if you are up for it, then just make it clear on the invitation that there is no alcohol allowed at the party. Then on the day of the party you enforce it if someone does try to bring alcohol. You simply tell them that they are not allowed to bring it into the house.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• better chance of having these drunks not show up all ready shined up, if you have an early brunch party...good idea paulie lover

you can say no booze, but if severe boozers, they will drink before party or sneak it in

brunch party
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:16 AM on Dec. 5, 2013

• No booze means they walking carrying a water bottle with vodka in it
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I would call them and tell them "If you can't come to my home sober, you can't come at all. I love you, but I will not have it in my home."
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Personally I would not say anything but the bottles go in the kitchen and some is dumped each time you go in.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Let them all know no alcohol at your party. Are they obnoxious drunks? If they are I wouldn't even invite them b/c a true alcoholic will be drunk when they arrive.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I understand how you feel I have the same opinions on alcohol. im not a big drinker either and for my wedding we said no alcohol and some people snuck away and came back drunk I was so upset. I understand that you want your family there but I would just lay down the law especially if its your house.
    wifey000175554

Answer by wifey000175554 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2013