Insurance guru, I have a question

I know there's a Mom on here that works, or worked, in insurance. I've read some of her answers recently, but CAN NOT remember the screen name.

I have a question: Do you, by chance, know why insurance is frowning on doctors prescribing Protonix, or the generic, for pregnant women?

I took it with both my other kids, but when I went to the doc on Monday he said that insurance didn't want him prescribing it. They wanted something else instead.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 11:35 AM on Dec. 5, 2013 in Health

• I called my friend who works in the medical billing of my OBGYN, she said most likely it is safe, but they had a class action lawsuit against them for possible birth defects, even though it isn't conclusive. She asked if he suggested something else to reduce acid. She also said that you could take OTC heartburn meds if you chose to. Insurance will not pay for the script, but she said that he could give you a script anyway if he chose to, and you could pay out of pocket for it, said it should be around $30 for the generic version.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I got an Rx for, essentially, Prilosec. Between UHC and State I paid nothing for it. :)

Thanx :)
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2013