Is anyone gluten free? I am having a party.

I have one guest who is gluten free and I have many items planned that are gluten free But I always have bread or rolls and I will have cookies. This woman is an adult and has been to many of my get togethers, so she is aware of what I will probably serve. This will be buffet style and If it as it has been in the past, a few people will bring something to share as well.
Her needing to be gluten free has just been in the last year and so I understand it is still new to her.
She informed me that if I have anything with wheat being served at all, I am being inconsiderate and rude.

I am known for my bread. and cookies are always a part of the holiday season especially for children. I do have two gluten free cookie recipes that I can use as well.

What do you think? I was always taught that as long as you have enough food that each individual can enjoy, you were being a good hostess.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2013 in Food & Drink

• She is the one being rude. I would probably tell her 'since I'm so rude don't bother showing up"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I think she's being a little over the top requiring you don't use any wheat. She is not your only guest. If it were me, I'd probably set the gf items in a separate area but not far from the other food, like on one end of the counter where you are serving. Put a sign up saying gf items only. If other guests bring something gf, you can add it to the pile.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Are you having a fruit and/or veggie tray? She can easily eat that. Expecting you to have food that is gluten free (and most of the time ghastly) is asking a bit much. She can make her dish gluten free

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Since I have 30+ usually I bake a ham and a turkey before hand and have sliced meats and cheeses and those mini sausages. I do have gluten free crackers and a couple of dips including humus. Deviled eggs are a must. There will be veggie and fruit trays and 4 or 5 cold salads. There are cookies There will be tree different breads (homemade but not gluten free) I have cookies (not gluten free) and gluten free cookies (3 kinds) I may have ice cream and toppings but that will depend on my room and energy lol. There will also be nuts and pickles and olives. I have vegetarians and vegans and some with certain allergies. I use forks with the ingredients on a card in each bowl that is not easily recognizable and seperate and foods I know could cause a problem, so nuts are in a separate bowl and green peppers have a home of their own too.
    I have never had this be a problem.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• You have gone above and beyond to accommodate your guests......way more than most would be willing to do. If someone has special dietary needs it is up to them to pick and choose when at a party. And she knows you have taken her needs into account. Tell her nicely you have arranged for some special items and hope she can make it. Period. You are gracious and have done enough. I hope you have a wonderful time with those who appreciate your hospitality.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 2:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• "She informed me that if I have anything with wheat being served at all, I am being inconsiderate and rude."

Who says this to the host of a party? She is rude & I would say "sorry then, if you feel that way then stay home". What an ass!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I have two friends who have celiac disease. They cannot eat anything, even gluten free, that is made in the same place as gluten products. They always bring their own food with them to parties, family gatherings etc. Your friend might be new to this, but she is the one being rude. Also, if she has celiac, it's in her own best interest to bring her own stuff. Gluten free means made in a gluten free environment.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• How rude her reply was. You certainly have things under control. I guess sometimes people feel really isolated eating this way. She can eat cheese, raw veggies, polenta roll (sliced and fried or baked) makes a good base for mini pizzas, olives, pickles, a bowl of walnuts and dried figs is wonderful.
    cindyzane

Answer by cindyzane at 8:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2013