Have you ever thought this? I don't get it.

I get so many phone calls at work from people angry saying our e-mail addresses don't work.

They have the right e-mail addresses, but for whatever reason they add "www." to the front of it. For instance, they try to e-mail to www.anonymous@cafemom.com.

I know they weren't given the e-mail that way and none of them are listed like that our on websites.

And it's not just older people either.

Have you ever thought this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2013 in Technology

• You'd also be surprised how many people don't know what the "address bar" is.....
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• No! I get that a lot too! People use Google or Bing or whatever their homepage is as the address bar and then wonder why the correct site isn't coming up. Or they use the address bar as a search engine. I don't get it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• They type in google.com to go to goole to type youtube.com to go to youtube

When people are not tech savvy, they are VERY not tech savvy. The worst aren't older people, either, it's the younger ones who grew up with it and think they know what they're doing, but reality is they don't understand how any of it works, they're just monkeys pushing buttons.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Hahaha I'm a receptionist and I've heard a lot of um... "nonsensical" things before, but I've never heard this one! Not yet anyway... wow!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I've never heard of anyone doing that.... I thought that was common sense...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I think some people think WWW goes before everything connected to the internet. Other than that, I don't know, Silly.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Nope. Never thought that.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Not sure if your question is just why does it happen, or how to address it? In any case, in Tech Support we call this an "End User Education issue." If it is really pervasive, and happens a LOT more than you'd like, the best ways to address it are 2fold: Put a "Handy Tip" above the 'contact us' email address on the pages it occurs, and make it friendly (remember, folks that don't know, REALLY don't know, so they're not trying to annoy-- Rule #1 of Tech Support : ) Say something like, "Friendly Reminder: you don't need to put 'www' in our email address if you're sending us an email" and a friendly looking graphic.... also do the same in the body of any email you actually send, Friendly Reminder...blah blah etc...(even though if they just clicked 'reply' it would probably go back to you... but that's not standard all the time.) Best Regards!
    mosleyjackson

Answer by mosleyjackson at 12:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2013

• i think some people are dumb
    christina122952

Answer by christina122952 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2013