My cat is neurotic!

I have noticed that one of my cats bites his nails. He looks like he is cleaning his paws, he is licking them and biting at them. When I looked today some of his nails are broken looking, like he chewed them off. And when I really paid attention to it there was a crunching noise with the biting.

Is this normal cat behavior? We have had many cats in my life and I have never seen it before.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 2:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2013 in Pets

• Is he getting litter stuck in the nail? The underside is bowl shaped,and can get stuff stuck in there. Mine will get carpet fiber stuck in theirs.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Cats need to have their nails trimmed just like dogs and if they don't they will bite them off. It hurts to walk on overly long nails. It could be little or something stuck in between the nails. It could be that the hair picked up something and itches.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I trimmed them after I noticed him biting them. He just laid there like he was at the spa. LOL! Silly cat!
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• awww! cute

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• It is normal. My cats do that sometimes... seems to be when they just need to get something out of there. Some cats do it more, some cats hardly at all. Just clip them regularly and you should be fine.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• cats only do that when the woman in the house is pregnant

congratulations!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Mine do that when their nails get to long.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• What? Are there people that have cats that are not neurotic in one way or another? LOL! Yours just figured out how to train you in another way. Now said kitty will be expecting a personal/catonal manni/peddi.
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 9:44 AM on Dec. 10, 2013