Is IEP necessary for child with ADHD?

My son is in 1st grade and goes to private school. His teacher recommended that we consider getting an IEP on file for him but I am hesitant. My stepson who is with us a little less that half the time has an IEP and it has been nothing short of a disaster. The school just keeps lowering the bar for him year after year and he gets further and further behind. He is in 6th grade and still doesn't even know the months of the year. We try our best but his mom doesn't value school- long story.

Anyhoo!! SInce my son is doing well, straight A's for the most part in all his classes and reading at a 2nd grade level- do I need to get an IEP set up for him? I don't want my son expected to do anything different or less than any of the other kids in class. I realize it is private school and not public like my stepson so maybe the public schools here do things a bit different- it is basically special ed and in his classes he is just not expected to perform to standards.

Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't if he's doing well. I yanked my sons Iep last year because he was still failing & they just skipped him along, this year he's doing great because he has no clutch.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 3:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• If the school is failing at keeping him at task,you need to get in there and kick some ass(stepson)
    Does your son require some extra services?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• If the child is doing well in school, no behavior problems, no issues with grades, then an IEP probably isn't necessary at the moment. My dd has had one since 1st grade, but she has issues with processing as well as ADHD and was behind in reading. Her IEP was helping only somewhat from 1st- 5th grade, but now this year at a new school, the special ed teacher is amazing, and she's really getting the help she needs. So while an IEP can be bad for a child depending on the school, it can be a great thing, but only for a struggling child, not one with good grade and no behavior issues.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• You may not need an IEP, but you might want to consider a 504 for him.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I can be benifical if he is to need any accommodations for tests, especially large standarized tests, later on
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• IEP is not just for academic things
    it is also for behavior

does the school have issues with his behavior?
    you are at IEP meeting, and if you disagree with something the school staff puts in there- you can say no, and not sign ir, call another IEP meeting then to fix the issues you both disagree on.
    an IEP is a legal document, so it can help in many situations

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• From MY understanding, an IEP is like remedial training on a very specific level. My daughter (6) is on an IEP for speech therapy.

My son (10) has ADHD and is on the Autism Spectrum, formerly known as Asperger's Syndrome. HE has a 504 plan that we just set up for him this year. It gives him some very specific additional help for if/when he needs it. If he's having trouble writing in class, he has a place to go to get the writing done. If he's getting over stimulated in class, he has a specific desk he can move to, and/or earplugs he can use. If he's feeling overwhelmed emotionally, he can go talk to the school counselor, or go to a specified place and get himself back under control.

You don't say what/how the ADHD is affecting him in school. Without that information it's hard to give good advice.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:35 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• It depends. Both of my boys have ADHD, and the only IEP was when my younger son was getting speech therapy for a speech impediment. The whole thing was purely about his speech therapy, in fact I don't think he'd even been diagnosed with ADHD yet. My kids never needed an IEP for their ADHD. But for some kids it is helpful. The teacher thinks he needs one, so it might not hurt to sit down and discuss it with the school, find out what they have in mind and see if it might help.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• YES and a behavior intervention plan as well. I think it will be helpful anyway. My adhd also has autism as his main diagnosis though.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I would keep a close eye on the situation as a parent and not let yourself be lulled into denial. If you are sure that everything is going well, and not just convincing yourself of it because you want it to be true, then leave it alone, unless or until you need to intervene. But remember that kidding yourself will help no one, least of all your child.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2013