Why does my skin hurt when I get a virus?

It's mostly on my trunk,back and front,but also on the front of my thighs and my scalp. It feels like a mix between a muscle ache and a sunburn. it hurts to the touch.
Am i just weird or does anyone else get this?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2013 in Health

• I'm no doctor, so take this for what it's worth, which is free advice on the Internet and nothing more. But as an asthmatic, I'd guess it has something to do with oxygen flow to the capillaries in your skin. When I get an asthma attack, my skin tingles and sometimes hurts. When you go out in the cold, or come in from the cold to a warm room, your skin feels prickly. It's the blood flow in the capillaries, and also how much oxygen is in that blood. My asthma has been out of control with this cold weather the last few days, and my skin has been hurting.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I have always read that it's normal to have a bit of a rash as you get over a virus. My kids would sometimes have a rash on their back or on their torso when they were finally getting better after being sick. Our Peds have always said that's normal. I would imagine that the same would apply to adults.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• No it happens to me too. Do you have a fever? That can cause it. But your skin is an organ just like any other and can be affected by a virus.

Hope you feel better soon!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Nope.... all considered body aches and pains. I'm sure there is a medical reason, I just don't know it though....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I don't know the reason, but I do know it is very, very common.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• Oh good! I was thinking "now what?!"

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• i'll have to have my husband check my back later. That's what hurts the most

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• LOL, I found this over at Ask.com

"The skin is the biggest organ in your body and is in contact with most of your body and has numerous pain receptors."
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2013