What kind of car seats does Medicaid give out as their free car seat program?

I'm asking anonymously to avoid judgement. My daughter is on Medicaid for her health insurance, because I was laid off and cannot find work. She's 15 months old and 20lbs and about to outgrow her 22 lb max infant seat. I need a convertible car seat for her. Her health insurance covers a free carseat, but I don't know if it will be able to be rear facing. Things are really tight right now, but I don't want to put her forward facing. The law in my state is 20 lbs and 1 year to forward face, so legally, she can, but I don't feel safe doing that. I know that beggars can't be choosy, and all, but I'm worried that I will get a seat that I will be forced to forward face her in. Can anyone tell me if they received a car seat from medicaid, or other health insurance for babies of similar age, what did you receive? Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd contact her Medicaid case worker. I'm sure they would know or at least find out for you. Or visit your state's Health department website. It might be there.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• I would call the place that has the cataracts and just ask.. Most hospitals will give you free car seats as well for all needs.. So there's another place to check/ look at
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 6:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• What are you going to do if that is all they have FF car seat? Not except it?
    I do not understand what all the hype is over RF vs FF?

Answer by louise2 at 7:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2013

• All the "hype" is that in numerous studies it has been shown to be SAFER to be rear facing as long as possible so as to not internally decapitate the child in an accident. I doubt they would NOT have a RF since they give to all ages. To the OP I don't know what they will give you but they usually give bare bones seats that don't go very high weight wise for rear facing. At 15 months you need to check both height and weight limits on all car seats. Good luck.
    Anonymous